1980 GS550L Exhaust Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550L Exhaust Recommendations

Looking to replace the exhaust on my bike and I have many questions. So far I've searched high and low for a stock set (that isn't rusted out), slip-ons and aftermarket pipes.

What are my options? What have some of you done to replace yours?

Has anyone tried to repack the baffles in the stock exhaust?

WOOHOOO!!!

If only we knew where you were, we might be able to make some recommendations.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I am in Norcross, GA (outside of Atlanta). Thanks, Steve.

Comment

Does anyone have recommendations? Thanks!

Comment

The only one I've been able to locate is from MAC. Not the best but it seems that it's all that's out there for the 1980 GS550. Maybe others can chime in with other options.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thanks, JT. That's what I've found aside from a used set of stock pipes whih would be risky as they may also be rusted out. If anyone has other ideas, chime in.

Comment

Perhaps the exhaust from a later model 550 4-valve model could be made to fit. I have a set of the black-chrome ones and they are short. You would have to weld a kickstand to your frame probably.
              I even have an '81 550E frame that I could sort of test fit them on if you wish.

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
                Perhaps the exhaust from a later model 550 4-valve model could be made to fit. I have a set of the black-chrome ones and they are short. You would have to weld a kickstand to your frame probably.
                I even have an '81 550E frame that I could sort of test fit them on if you wish.
                Thanks for the reply! Short? Does that mean the baffles were cut off? Why would I have to weld a kickstand to the frame? I already have one. Got pics?

Comment

Has anyone out there found a way to repack your stock exhaust on a GS550L? I think that would require you to cut the end off the muffler.

Comment

Working...
                  X