Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust pipe clamps?

1982 GS1100GL

Please see attached picture of my pipes.

I removed my exhaust pipes from my bike because I was hearing some popping and I also want to replace the bolts and gaskets. Right away I noticed that the two center pipes pull right out of the left and right pipes. I figured maybe the clamps were loose but they appear to be fully tightened.

Should the clamps be holding them in to the point were I can't pull them out? I also noticed the two center pipes, where they join in the middle there is a clamp, also tightened but I can twist the pipes away from each other easily, but was not able to pull them apart (I didn't try hard).

What do I need to do to these before putting them back on my bike please?

exhaust.jpg

There are soft gaskets that go into the outer pipe flanges that the two center pipes insert into. Hope that makes sense. The gaskets shrink and get damaged over time so replacing them should get you going again. They're number 8 in the pic below:

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I will order them right now. So the clamp thing is ok than?

Comment

Or you could use some firegum.. that would work too.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Should I get firegum and the soft gaskets? You guys tell me before I order, what should I get and do to get this exhaust good to go for next spring?

Comment

Working...
          X