1978 gs 1000 chain drive PETCOCK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    So, Basically , could one of you with the leverless petcock take some real clear pics to show him if there are dots or other indicators to visually tell him whats what? I dont have one to reference right now so any help for the guy would be cool. He needs to be sure its in the ON position so he can leak test the petcock to see if its the main fuel line or the vacuum line that may be leaking fuel back. Or to see if its leaking at all for that matter.
    Late '79 or early '80 1000 replacement tank with the 1980 petcock. The first pic shows it in the RUN position. Parallel to the Earth.
    The second, in the PRIME position. Perpendicular to the Earth. (Dark here and had to use a flashlight to get good pic's as the flash was too bright.)

Comment

So I see the two dots...where is there a mark on the part that swivels??? Which is the reserve? Does it only rotate 180 form one side to the other? Im way to tired to go to thr storage unit right now to look at the one on Gregorys 80 Cooley and honestly I am more familiar with the pre 80 petcocks.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

WOW, Now that is some real help!! I have been in the "PRI" position the perpendicular / up and down. Not good. Im going to pull both fuel lines and let it sit with fuel lines in bottles and see if I truly have a problem. Thank you so much!
        sohcphreek

Comment

78/80 fuel petcock

So Chuck, heres what I did,
          Drained oil and filter replaced filter and housing, filled the tank with fuel and left drain plug out. put a water bottle under to catch any leaking fluid, to decide if its mixed with gasoline or just remnants of oil. Looks like just oil so far but im gonna let it sit til sunset ( 8 Hrs or so). Then Im gonna fill with oil and ride like i stole it!
          Thanks sohcphreekIMG_0726.jpg
          Last edited by Guest; 10-07-2014, 05:15 PM. Reason: pics

Comment

Does the oil you drained out seem rather thin and watery or smell like some gas has been mixed in???? Gas wont necessarily seperate itself from the oil remnants in the oil pan. The true test is to do the two lines from the petcock to the two individual bottles over night. Thats gonna for sure answer if one side or the other of the petcock is leaky.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Ok, So I left the drain plug out for 3 days with a full fuel tank, moved petcock lever to the correct on position (Not Prime)! and had no gas in my bottle sitting under the oil drain hole. I think by riding in the prime position screwed things up. seems good to go now.
              Thanks Chuck you were a great help and GSX1000E for the detailed picture!
              sohcphreek

Comment

Working...
              X