No announcement yet.

cold, cold blooded stock 85 Gs1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing that's worth considering right out of the box is shimming the needles. Makes a noticeable difference in cold driveability.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If I had an email address I could forward someone the picture & they could post it. Short of that Im dead in the water

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
        That being said I motor mine for about 3 seconds before flicking on the kill switch because of the high compression to avoid starter clutch destruction!
        Somebody has done some re-wiring to your 'kill' switch.
        As they come from the factory, GSes will not crank with the 'kill' switch in the OFF position.

Originally posted by Katarat View Post
        If I had an email address I could forward someone the picture & they could post it. Short of that Im dead in the water
        Click on my username in the upper left corner, there is a link there to my e-mail. Send me the picture, I will post it for you.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK, here is your bike.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Nice bike....

Comment

OP, sweet looking bike!!!

Originally posted by bigeasy1812 View Post
              Speaking of cold starts its about to start getting cold here in Oklahoma. Motorcycle newbie here looking for winter storage tips other than fuel stabilizer for my 1980 gs750e.
              Bigeasy, where at in Oklahoma? I'm in OKC area.

My bike starts in 50* weather with no choke at all... Is that bad? If I go full choke it never revs up to 3000 rpm, just stays at 1000 rpm or kills it.

Comment

I just picked up a bone stock 85 Gs1150, runs good when warmed up but its the cold bloodiest thing Ive ever seen.
                How would you compare it's vibration to the 1100? Noticeably buzzier?
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Rob
                  I bought an 85 GS1150 and it is the smoothest running motorcycle I've ever had.
                  It's all in how you tune them. (Sync carbs/valve clearance....)
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

+5 on the Stabil treatment. BUT... I would leave the carbs and fuel line full. Just make sure to take her for a good ride after adding Stabil to ensure it is in all of the proper places... If you just drain the gas out of the carbs the remaining gas (cuz you can't get it all) will still varnish and clog things up. Also, leaving them dry like that will dry out all of the gaskets and o-ring inside. The stabil will prevent ALL of the above from happening. I haven't had to rebuild my carbs for 5 years, and she sits for 4-5 months every winter. In the spring I just crank it (motor it) for a few seconds and then "enrichener" warm it and GO... Haven't had issues. Stabil is GREAT stuff...
                    '83 GS 1100T
                    The Jet

sigpic
                    '95 GSXR 750w
                    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      Rob
                      I bought an 85 GS1150 and it is the smoothest running motorcycle I've ever had.
                      It's all in how you tune them. (Sync carbs/valve clearance....)
                      Still, the 1150s came with bar end weights...

I guess I'll have to ride one to find out.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks for the tips

Comment

Thanks for the tips

Drain the carbs, remove fuel line to carbs & plug, install short piece of plugged fuel line to petcock, change oil & filter, fill fuel tank with alcohol free gas, & install 2-3 oz Stabil Storage fuel stabilizer

Comment

I got the carbs off today. I thought the GS1100s were a PIA, they don't have squat on the 1150s for hard to work on. Carbs are a mess, got to order the o-ring kit. Getting them back on looks like sweetheart job too, not a lot of room to work them back in. I can see that the guy had been running the 10% alcohol gas in it. Hoping to get the carbs done and valves adjusted before the "Hawk" gets here. Ive lived out here in Montana for over 34 years and this is the first 1150 Ive ever seen. We had no Suzuki dealer back then

Comment

Do yourself a favor & get a set of APE pod filters & a Stage 3 jet kit. Carbs are MUCH easier to work on & & get in & out without the airbox & you will gain some airflow & power too.
                              Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                                OK, here is your bike.

Now, I'm seriously wondering if that bodywork will fit on an 850.
                                However, with the tubular frame, I think there's a better chance of this one doing so...
                                ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                                X