No announcement yet.

cold, cold blooded stock 85 Gs1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll throw another thought into the ring. My 1100 was very hard to start when the coil voltage was low (about 10.5v). If fact it needed starter fluid to start. You call that cold blooded?

after doing the coil relay the bike started instantly despite the brutal winters in SB.

Comment

I live in Billings Mt at 3750 ft elevation. My "this years" riding is down to days as in any day it will be over. Thanks for the tips. Ill check & set the valves, do the carbs with new o-rings, new plugs , balance the carbs, see how it runs then try the screws first. Thanks for the ideas guys don't get in a war over this, I appreciate the help as always

Comment

If you happen to do all this before the snow gets too deep, rest assured that if you give it a healthy dose of fuel stabilizer (Sta-bil is preferred in my garage), it will be sitting there, patiently waiting for you to wake it up in the spring.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes Jim..thanks for that reminder..corroded connections in the harness AND ESPECIALLY the harness ground loops make things a BEOTCH!!!. Do all the maintenance, carbs etc etc and still persitant problems. Reclean carbs and more tail chasing till the connections are serviced. Thanks for the reminder.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

We never go to war. The others just dont know when to admit i makes sense and try to follow a path of logical diagnosis and systematic repair. LOL
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I use the Storage Stabil in a full tank over the winter but Ive had better luck draining the carbs and removing & blocking the fuel line from the fuel valve

Comment

Originally posted by Katarat View Post
                I just picked up a bone stock 85 Gs1150...
                I don't know how everyone could have gone this long without requesting pics of the air-cooled beast!
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Ill post some after I get it out of my truck & cleaned up

Comment

The starting procedure chuck mentions is not a good one either.

Motor for 5-10 seconds with throttle closed, stop then pull out choke, hit the start button and immediately go to half choke.

Starting full choke on an engine that has sat for awhile like that is asking for oil starvation issues. Motoring will prime the oil system to ensure that does not happen.
                    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
                      The starting procedure chuck mentions is not a good one either.

Motor for 5-10 seconds with throttle closed, stop then pull out choke, hit the start button and immediately go to half choke.

Starting full choke on an engine that has sat for awhile like that is asking for oil starvation issues. Motoring will prime the oil system to ensure that does not happen.
                      You have to love some of the international dialect and terminology on these forums.

I'm assuming that by "motoring" you mean turning the engine over using the starter. If this is correct, then I would be a little leery of cranking the starter motor for 10 seconds at a time every time you start the engine cold. Sure, you wont have oil starvation problems, but you will be replacing starter motors rather often.
                      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Speaking of cold starts its about to start getting cold here in Oklahoma. Motorcycle newbie here looking for winter storage tips other than fuel stabilizer for my 1980 gs750e.

Comment

Drain the carbs, remove fuel line to carbs & plug, install short piece of plugged fuel line to petcock, change oil & filter, fill fuel tank with alcohol free gas, & install 2-3 oz Stabil Storage fuel stabilizer

Comment

https://mail.aol.com/38798-111/aol-6/en-us/Suite.aspx here is the bike picture if someone cares to post it. I am obviously too old and dumb to figure this photobucket stuff out. Ill have my son train me when he comes home this Xmas

Comment

The link just takes me to AOL.
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                                You have to love some of the international dialect and terminology on these forums.

I'm assuming that by "motoring" you mean turning the engine over using the starter. If this is correct, then I would be a little leery of cranking the starter motor for 10 seconds at a time every time you start the engine cold. Sure, you wont have oil starvation problems, but you will be replacing starter motors rather often.
                                Not for every start, chuck said if the bike sat for a long time. Such as first start of the year after sitting for the winter for instance. Or the first time you go to start a newly purchased basket case.

And you are correct, certainly would burn up starters if it was for every start. That being said I motor mine for about 3 seconds before flicking on the kill switch because of the high compression to avoid starter clutch destruction!

cheers
                                1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                                1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
                                X