Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a trick to getting my carbs back into my new intake boots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    I was going to reply with a simple "and even less space on a 550", but thought about it again.

I don't think I have seen ANY chain-driven GS that has any 'extra' room for carb removal/installation.

Certainly not nearly as much as my 850s.

Funny you should say that.

I've been doing some work on my 550esd, and I've found that by removing the battery box, I can create oodles of space for carb removal and insertion. However, the siamesed carbs do present an additional feature that can cause them to hook up on the dual carb boot. I gather the frame design must be quite different from the earlier 550s, though.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

A little late to this party, but I find I can get much better leverage installing the carbs if I sit on the bike and push on both sides. Get one side in, then keep pressure on while doing the other. Wiggle them up and down a little. I've never needed to lube them, even when I had old, hard boots. I can see how that would make it easier though.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
      X