Question about reinstalling my exhaust pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about reinstalling my exhaust pipes

I replaced the gaskets and I'm ready to put the old exhaust pipes back on. While attempting the outer most left and right side I noticed they do go all the way in. There is a gap and I can't seem to get them in any more. I tried some motor oil.

When I put the bolts in and tighten them will that pull the pipes in or is that bad? I wanted to stop here and ask before I damage something.

Let me know if you need pictures to understand what I'm saying.

If the gap you are talking about is between the collar and the head, that's GOOD.

If the collar went tight against the head, you would have no idea whether the pipes are sealed against the gaskets, and would have to way to tighten them if they were loose.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Are you talking the step flange on the actual pipes themselves stick away from the heads? That's normal. You'll tighten up the exhaust flange against the exhaust gaskets. However, my suggestion is to only tighten it enough to get rid of exhaust leaks for 2 reasons:

1. So you don't strip the heads
      2. So you can reuse the exhaust gaskets more than once.

I haven't tried it yet, but there are stud kits available at most parts stores for a Ford application that uses the correct thread pitch for the head. You might try that so you don't have to worry about stripping the threads ever again. Just find it on the parts shelves with all the generic/most replaces parts.

^^ Scratch that. It doesn't have enough studs. But you can find generic studs at any parts store for pretty cheap.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-07-2014, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Here is a picture of the gap, the pipe doesn't sit flush with the head:

pipe_gap.jpg

Comment

Thats how its supposed to sit.

Comment

That flange is what the collar pushes on to ensure a seal at the gasket.

If that flanger were flush, the collar would not have any room to squeeze.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X