VM carbs on a Katana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM carbs on a Katana

Can somebody clear up something that is bugging me. I believe the Oz Kats came with VM32SS (SZ) and VM34SS (SD) oval bore carbs, am i correct? Did they also make, or have available, VM36SS carbs??????

Any info would be much appreciated, thanks.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

anybody???????
    1978 GS1085.

Comment

Some European bikes came with VMs as well (all 1000s for race homologation I think). Pass on which ones but rather guys here should know:

79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

cheers Wally, i know some Kat's came with VM's , i am just questioning what size they were (are)
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Info from my factory service manual shows the Oz and Kiwi GSX1000SZ and SD came with the Mikuni VM32SS carbs. The 1100 SZ, SD and SE were fitted with Mikuni BS34SS carbs.
          I have fitted the Mikuni BS34SS carbs to my GSX1000SD and found there was a lot less grunt but better fuel economy.
          Even though the 32s are harder on the wrist and wallet they are much more fun.
          Can't shed any light on the VM36SS carbs.
          Hope this helps.

Cheers Rob
          1983 GSX1000SD Katana

Comment

Agemax...I've come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as VM34SS Mukini carbs..."My opinion only" BTW.

The only reference I can find re the use of VM34SS is in the Haynes Manual...I'd take this info with a grain of salt.

I've attached the pics and measurements of the carbs from my Aussie delivered 83 GSX1000SD Katana.

If anybody knows for sure how to measure these bloody things to get 32mm...please come forward.

All measurements are inside diameter.

Cheers...Dave

Last edited by Guest; 10-25-2014, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X