Need Advice-possible fuel/carb problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Advice-possible fuel/carb problem

Hi. I have a 78 GS750. My bike is starting hard and getting harder. After getting it started I have to hold the throttle on. The throttle response is not good at this point. If I can get it to rev hard up to 5000 rpms it feels like something pops and then it idles fine and off I go. Unfortunately this problem got worse today and it takes 3 or 4 start attempts to get going. Once I've been riding the bike for a ways it seems to even out and ride fine but I'm worried it's getting worse. I took off the tank and petcock and everything looked fine there but it ran worse after. Not sure if there's a connection there. any advice would help.

What maintenance have you done ? Sounds like carbs, but lots of potential for other stuff.

".....I took off the tank and petcock and everything looked fine there but it ran worse after. "
    Maybe a coincidence, but did you check flow of petcock? Still got a vacuum operated petcock?

seen this link?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

How long have you had the bike? In other words, is this something that has been developing over a long time or is it a 'new' bike to you and you just realized that it's not all that the seller promised?

Have you done any of the required maintenance? Carbs cleaned/rebuilt? Valves adjusted? Dirty carbs and tight valves are classic signs of hard starting. Dirty carbs are a classic sign of poor running after it does get started.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have had the bike about 7 months or so. The seller didn't know much about maintenance history. A friend and I gave it a tune up shortly after I got it (took off carbs and cleaned them, checked valve clearance, timing, adjusted idle and air screws). Everything I've seen taken apart on this bike looks in great shape. Ran great for quite awhile then started showing symptoms of this problem .Shortly after I mistakenly put way too much oil on the air filter after cleaning it. The plugs fouled. I replaced the air filter and plugs and sprayed carb cleaner in the air intake ports of the carbs until it felt clear and good and off I went. Still the problem came back. I'd think it was just a carb recleaning issue but it was starting to happen with squeaky clean carbs. One of the valve clearances was very slightly off and could use a shim but It seems very hard to do on this bike so haven't done it. Thought about checking for vacuum leaks with a can of carb cleaner sprayed on spots while the engine is running. Just need to know where to start with diagnosing the problem My mechanical skills and tools are limited. I'm learning.

Comment

You need to correct valve clearances- they likely have changed from your initial measurements, especially if bike sat idle before you arrived (you might have got false readings). Join the shim club here to exchange shims. Head to this link

at bottom of Steve's post, note valve spreadsheet offer
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hard starting is generally tight valves

Did you replace the points and condensors?

Sounds like you need a full maintenance

See the Top 10 Newbie mistakes
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
            X