TIme to deep clean my carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TIme to deep clean my carbs?

My 250GT is developing a problem. It has a fully stock fuel system and exhaust. It starts well on warm days, and fairly well on cool days. The choke has a very noticeable effect on RPM, and keeps things at around 2500 RPM once the engine has started.. Full speed operation is normal.

However, the bike has a bad habit of dying at anything less than 2K RPM. Once it dies, it won't relight until it's been sitting for a while.

The last time I dealt with this, after it died, I tried holding the throttle open and winding for one or two bursts, assuming I needed to clear flooded cylinders. I then applied the choke again and cranked two or three bursts, but there was no kick. I then pulled a plug and found completely dry, nice light tan plugs.

Do I need to open the carbs up and clean them? If so, what parts should I have on hand before digging in? Bikebandit doesn't seem to list a separate rebuild kit, as many other engines offer.

Basscliff's rebuild PDF lists a set of O-rings. Will they work for the 250?
    Mark Fisher
    sigpic

More likely you have tight valves

What maintenance have you done?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Not much recently. Point taken about basic tune-up as a starting point.
      Mark Fisher
      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, start with the valve adjustment, see what results you get

Then, clean the carbs if needed - full clean per the tutorial

Sync the carbs and check the timing

I'm not real familiar with the 250, I'm assuming it has electronic ignition?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yeah, electronic ignition. I checked the valves as suggested: They were perhaps .0005 tighter than spec. I readjusted them to .001 to .002 on intake per Haynes. Carb throat seems VERY clean. I removed the carb-to-cyl head boot, and the intake O-rings are shot. Ah HAH! I've got new 30MM O-rings on order from Mr. Barr.

BTW, neither Harbor Freight, not AutoZone, nor Heyser Suzuki in Laurel can supply ignition wrenches! I just carefully gripped the adjuster with pliers, but I think I'll whittle my own 3mm open-end wrench before I try again. (I noticed that even the Haynes manual photographed themselves using a loose fitting 9/64" instead of a metric wrench.)

Also, where can I get this tool?
          2013-11-01_204052_zpse25fbdf3.jpg
          Last edited by mf70; 11-22-2014, 07:42 PM.
          Mark Fisher
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mf70 View Post
            I checked the valves as suggested: They were perhaps .0005 tighter than spec. I readjusted them to .001 to .002 on intake per Haynes.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]37258[/ATTACH]
            Your valves should be adjusted to .003-.005".

Factory Suzuki manual here...http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
            Throw that POS Haynes in the garbage.

Motion Pro sells those valve adjust tools. Google will shake them out...
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Now now, My Haynes manual has been with me for many years. Thank you VERY MUCH for responding, though. I was reading the stem-to guide clearance rather than the valve clearance. Haynes had it right; in fact, they had it right in two places.

I am VERY glad I got this message before I started the bike. (I'll bet the O-rings will also help).
              Mark Fisher
              sigpic

Comment

Well well. Valve lash adjusted to 004", intake O-rings replaced, and everything put back together.

I'm afraid I still need to take the carbs down all the way. The bike now cold-starts with full choke easily, but it stumbles when I open the throttle. When it is fully warm, it dies, choke or no.

Almost the precise opposite of the problems I was having originally. Any thoughts? (And thanks for the quick responses!)
                Mark Fisher
                sigpic

Comment

Definitely sounds like plugged pilot jets to me. Time for a carb cleaning! Feel lucky that you only have half the number of jets and other tiny bits to worry about.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Clean and sync, as I said

The throats being clean means nothing. Only air goes thru there. There's lots of tiny passages in the carb body that get clogged up.
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

OK, carbs coming apart. The brass parts are coming out easily.

One question: I hear that carb dip will tear up O-rings. When I dip the carb body, what about the seals on the throttle plate shaft? Should I pull the throttle plate & shaft? There's no mention of the throttle plate in Ed Ness's PDF.
                      Mark Fisher
                      sigpic

Comment

this is how far I took mine apart

and

and if you can.....get new O rings......one less thing to worry about when you go to put them back together....

Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2014, 08:21 PM.

Comment

You don't need to worry about the throttle plate shaft
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Ooops!

Gatekeeper: Yes, I have Bob Barr's O-ring set plus the intake 30MM o-ring. All was good except the choke O-ring, which was too large. I'll use the old one there.

It looks like there wasn't a varnish problem, but there was 30 years accumulation of EXTREMELY fine rust particles. Things look much better now.

Unfortunately, as I was putting the second carb back together, I noticed a 1-cm hole in the throat. I immediately went back to the other carb, and, sure enough, there is a 1-cm aluminum plug topped with a flat rubber washer (#16 in this image: http://d136nqpz68vrmx.cloudfront.net...SU0068_013.gif). The plug itself is not listed in the parts breakdown!

I probably blew the plug to Kingdom Come as I was air blasting the rinsed carb body. I'm surprised I didn't notice an aluminum bullet shooting out of my hand, but it went somewhere.

I have a lathe, and I can whittle a new plug, I suppose. I could probably get away with filling in the hole with epoxy or JB Weld. Any thoughts? Is this some sort of backfire pressure relief?
                            Mark Fisher
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mf70 View Post
                              Is this some sort of backfire pressure relief?
                              That orifice was necessary to machine the carb body. It most definitely needs to be sealed. The O-ring on top simply helps to seal it and keep it in place.

Comment

Working...
                              X