Larger Fuel Tank Options, Looking For More Distance Between Fillups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larger Fuel Tank Options, Looking For More Distance Between Fillups

Not certain this is the correct forum to post in. Basically I'm looking for a larger capacity tank, or some other sort of recommendation. Basically my work is 45 miles away one way, and I intend to start riding to work in the spring after I get the bike restored again. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to larger capacity fuel tanks or another option that would work. I obviously could fill the tank everyday but that would get a bit obnoxious. One thing I was thinking was to have a tank build that was larger and allowed for fuel storage throughout the entirety of the tank, possibly using two petcocks like I've seen on old British bikes. I dunno its 6 am and I'm just spitballing here. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

You have approximately a 6 gallon fuel tank now. You should be getting over 55mpg. With a 6 gallon tank, your driving range should be 330 miles. I'm not sure I see the problem.
    Last edited by JTGS850GL; 11-03-2014, 09:12 AM.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I guess he doesn't want to have to get gas every three days or so...

Any competent sheetmetal guy can do an "endurance tank". The trick is not having it look like crap. You can make it taller or wider, but then it starts to get in the way of your knees or the bars. Might be able to add to the bottom rear a bit, but probably not enough to make it worth while and lose the airbox.
      If you want to keep the original lines of the bike, you'll have to do an aux. tank, either mounted on the tail or in the subframe. no option will be particularly cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesWhut? View Post
        I guess he doesn't want to have to get gas every three days or so...

Any competent sheetmetal guy can do an "endurance tank". The trick is not having it look like crap. You can make it taller or wider, but then it starts to get in the way of your knees or the bars. Might be able to add to the bottom rear a bit, but probably not enough to make it worth while and lose the airbox.
        If you want to keep the original lines of the bike, you'll have to do an aux. tank, either mounted on the tail or in the subframe. no option will be particularly cheap.
        Yeah but that is not what the OP is saying. He says he is trying to avoid an EVERYDAY fill " I obviously could fill the tank everyday but that would get a bit obnoxious".

My best guess is the bike gets horrific mileage, he is unaware of the mileage it should be getting or has never actually checked the mileage. JTGS850GL has is right

Comment

If the mileage is not what it should be then that is where I would start first. Get valves adjusted, carbs cleaned and set the timing. Much cheaper then building a larger tank.
          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

The tanks fitted to the UK spec 750 and 1100 are bigger and bolt straight on. Take a look on Ebay UK and you'll find one (don't forget you're looking for one for a GSX though - that's what they were called over here).
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks for the responses. When my bike was running I averaged about 42 mpg, and unless I am mistaken it is a 4 gallon tank on my bike. This winter I will be redoing the carbs, valves, gaskets, any electrical stuff needed. It went into storage about 2 years ago and i will be rebuilding it over the winter. I had no idea 16 valves should be seeing 55 mpg. I bought it from a gentleman in Danville Indiana back in 2008 (or there abouts) who casually rebuilt gs' s and came highly from this forum. He had gotten the bike into running condition.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                You have approximately a 6 gallon fuel tank now. You should be getting over 55mpg. With a 6 gallon tank, your driving range should be 330 miles. I'm not sure I see the problem.
                Uh his tank is a 5 gallon tank and getting 55mpg would be cruising at 50mph. Bike has a cruising range of about 225- 230 miles depending how you twist the throttle. I average around 43 mpg on my bike and its tuned. I also live at 4,000 ft so that hurts the mileage some.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by callahanoffroad View Post
                  Thanks for the responses. When my bike was running I averaged about 42 mpg, and unless I am mistaken it is a 4 gallon tank on my bike. This winter I will be redoing the carbs, valves, gaskets, any electrical stuff needed. It went into storage about 2 years ago and i will be rebuilding it over the winter. I had no idea 16 valves should be seeing 55 mpg. I bought it from a gentleman in Danville Indiana back in 2008 (or there abouts) who casually rebuilt gs' s and came highly from this forum. He had gotten the bike into running condition.
                  Your 42 mpg average is about right, though you have a 5 gallon tank. Don't trust the fuel gauge lol. And yeah only way you are going to get 55 is slow way down. Sounds like you have a maintenance project on your hands to get the most mpg out of your.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

A new UK spec tank:

Last edited by hampshirehog; 11-03-2014, 04:14 PM.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                      Took me to a set of gsxr mirrors......

Comment

Originally posted by 78550GS View Post
                        Took me to a set of gsxr mirrors......
                        Dunno what went wrong there!

Let's try again:

I've corrected the original post now as well.
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                          Much cheaper then building a larger tank.
                          But not nearly as interesting.

Comment

I got the tank on the link. I couldn't find any specs on it. How large is the UK spec tank?

And yes I have quite the project on my hands. Mostly maintenance items, but I'll be doing some cosmetics as well.

Comment

The UK tank holds an extra gallon I believe.
                              79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Working...
                              X