No announcement yet.

problem idling during warmup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Either a broke ring or stuck rings. try putting a few ounces of a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF in the cylinder and let it soak a few days. This concoction eats carbon and anything else making a ring stick. Start it outside till the smoking goes away and then do another check on that cylinder. If its like it should your good to go..if not I would think about a broke ring.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Given that you mentioned pulling the plug wire off #4 didn't affect the idle, I would have expected to see that low compression number on #4 cylinder, not #2...
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Where are the pilots screws set? How is the air cleaner?

The 550's are jetted lean from new. My old 550T took 3.5 turn on the pilot screws otherwise the idle would hang. You also need to have the carbs vacuum synced otherwise the idle won't be stable.
        You know I can't really tell where the pilots fuel screws are set because I used the max-idle/rpm-drop method to set them.

I did get around to cleaning and re-oiling the foam filter. Lots of junk came out. The thing is with those foam filters the dirt get embedded deep in the foam and gets stuck in there. So if you don't clean it well you are not really cleaning it. I got a bowl of kerosene and really worked it all out this time. Messy job. I should just replace it next year. I clean it about once every 10k miles, btw.

Comment

You can find out by gently turning them in until lightly seated counting as you do then backing them out that same number.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

And I would also recheck the valve clearances on that low cyclinder to eliminate a valve leaking pressure past it.
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Set the pilot screws at 3.5 turns and vacuum sync the carbs. You can tweak the pilot screws a little from this starting point but I wouldn't get too far off this baseline without good reason.

This said, if #2 truly has such poor compression you have a major problem. No way out other than to pull the head and cylinder and fix what's broke.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I would recheck the valves on that jug and do the soak first. This will eliminate the two most obvious things BEFORE tearing it down. Now if the reading stay the same ..or shows very little improvement..then yes its tear down time.

Check the obvious before jumping into what may or may not be necessary.

Comment

Well.. one strip down later and the compression readings are now:

#1 135
                  #2 120
                  #3 120
                  #4 120

This was right after the head went one when it was cold so there might
                  have been a little oil left over after reassembly.

The bike runs alot smoother now and there's at least 20% more power.

But it looks like the one month is was sitting didn't agree with it.

I was about to do a carb sync and I hooked up an external tank. Two minutes
                  later I discover a puddle of gas under the bike. Looks like a float is now sticky.

I managed to get the carbs synced and the bike runs really smooth but there's
                  a hang up when I run it at about half throttle and then let it up for a few seconds
                  and then apply throttle again.

Also I noticed that the idle fine tuning screw bottoms out before I can set the
                  right richness for #4.

This all tells me there still a sticky float or a float valve that's not closing right.

I think I'll need to pull the carbs again and this time I will clean the jets and
                  figure out what's up with #4.

I have this tool to help check the float height now.

Last edited by DimitriT; 06-06-2015, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X