Leaky #2 Carb... Can't Seem to Plug It.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaky #2 Carb... Can't Seem to Plug It.

Fiddled around with my project today (1981 GS1000G) after letting her sit for a month or so. Off the bat, the carbs leaked like crazy. Not overflow, but out of where the bowls meet the carb. No biggie. Figure the gaskets dried out. Took the carbs off, bench synced 'em for ****s, re-torqued all of the float bolts, and popped 'em back on the bike. Much better. 'Cept the #2 carb still has a small leak. Fack. Pulled the carbs back off, un-bolted #2's bowl and cleaned all mating surfaces. Added a little silicone grease to the gasket, both sides. Re-bolted and torqued. Popped 'em back on the bike and... Leak is down to a slow dribble.

I'm not quite sure what's going on with the #2 carb. In theory, it really shouldn't be leaking... I'm going to pop the carbs back off tomorrow along with the gas tank and do a leak down test off the bike so I can really get my eyes on what's going on and where. Until then, do you guys know of anything that causes this sort of issue, things I should look out for? Float levels are good.

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers.

check for a cracked over flow tube , that's what I found .

Comment

Thanks for the heads. I'll be sure to take a look at the tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdhd View Post
        check for a cracked over flow tube , that's what I found .
        No overflow tubes on those carbs.

As far as I know, they were only on the VM carbs, which ended with the '79 model year (on US-spec bikes).

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Bad petcock sending gas down the vacuum tube into #2 carb maybe?

Comment

Check you float levels,the fuel level should be below the gasket surface.

Comment

Originally posted by megatwin View Post
              Check you float levels,the fuel level should be below the gasket surface.
              This was the ticket. Float level was off in #2. Adjusted and she's leak free... Having carb tuning issues now, but I'll open another thread for that.

Cheers!

Comment

Glad you got it.

Comment

Working...
                X