Choke Cable Stuck/Frozen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke Cable Stuck/Frozen

It was about 19 this morning when I attempted to fire up my GS. The only challenge was that the choke cable was stuck (I presume frozen) and I couldn't pull it out. Ended up driving the cage.

The cable was lubed with a silicone spray not too long ago. What is my best option for getting it to move again? (Given that it's not going to get that warm today and I'll want to ride tomorrow morning)

My thought was to go get a dual-screw cable luber from Cycle Gear and soak the cables good...

I wonder if the silicone spray had some water in it, or if there was already water in the cable.

Don't know off-hand if the choke cable can be taken apart without cutting it. If so, it would be best to do so and clean it thoroughly. If not, it may be best to buy a new one. (OEM, of course.)

For cable lube, I would tend toward lithium grease or the special cable lube that they sell. I'm sure others will chime in with their preferred lubricants as well.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Never heard of a choke cable freezing before, how bloody cold is it where you are?? Are you sure the cable hasn't gotten stuck near the carbs? or that something has gone wrong under at the handle bar? anyways, if it was frozen wouldn't a hair drying fix things?
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks. I'm in Atlanta, GA just a ways south of you.

Originally posted by azr View Post
        if it was frozen wouldn't a hair drying fix things?
        It would but I'm in an apartment and don't have a 60-foot extension cord. That does give me reason to go to Lowe's though. I like your thinking...

Comment

Never heard of a choke cable freezing before, how bloody cold is it where you are??
          He answered that in the first post, 19F, which, for you, is -7C.

Revjoel, the BEST solution would be a new cable, but you would not have it for tomorrow's ride.

Part number 58400-45110, it will cost $18.61 at Parts Outlaw.

When you get to the checkout page, enter the word "BANG" in the promo box, you will get free shipping.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

if it was frozen wouldn't a hair drying fix things?
            That's what I was going to suggest ha

Comment

Thanks, Steve. I'll spring for one soon. Pun intended.

Comment

Are you sure it's the cable? Did you check choke rod on the carbs? It can get all gunked up making it hard to slide through the carbs. Clean it and lube the rod good. Then see if it is cable as well.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

MrBill, the rod slides back and forth easily. Going to lube the cable first and see. I bought the luber and lube tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    He answered that in the first post, 19F, which, for you, is -7C.

Revjoel, the BEST solution would be a new cable, but you would not have it for tomorrow's ride.

Part number 58400-45110, it will cost $18.61 at Parts Outlaw.

When you get to the checkout page, enter the word "BANG" in the promo box, you will get free shipping.

Why is someone riding a motorcycle in -7 weather???
                    Rob
                    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Why not ride at that temperature??? Alot of times that is an overnight low temp, but then it does warm up during the day. You can just manually pull the choke on at the carbs and usually by the time you finish your trip your cable is freed up again. Lubing the cable may help some, but if it is corroded at all, it will only get harder and harder to use. Replacement advised.
                      1981 GS 1000GLX.
                      1981 GS 1000G.
                      1981 GS 650GLX.
                      1975 TS 185.
                      1972 100. Kawasaki.
                      1968 100. Suzuki.
                      1970 Z 50. Honda.
                      1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
                      1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Temperature???

The only reason to not ride when the temperature drops below 0, is if there are bad conditions like snow and ice. If I was to not ride when the temperature gets close to or below 0, I would loose 30-45 days of my already short riding season. I just gear up and enjoy as much time on my bike as possible. We all can't live in tropical areas because it would just be to crowded there then.
                        1981 GS 1000GLX.
                        1981 GS 1000G.
                        1981 GS 650GLX.
                        1975 TS 185.
                        1972 100. Kawasaki.
                        1968 100. Suzuki.
                        1970 Z 50. Honda.
                        1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
                        1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Originally posted by habsdoc View Post
                          The only reason to not ride when the temperature drops below 0, is if there are bad conditions like snow and ice. If I was to not ride when the temperature gets close to or below 0, I would loose 30-45 days of my already short riding season. I just gear up and enjoy as much time on my bike as possible. We all can't live in tropical areas because it would just be to crowded there then.
                          That is very true!!! there's nothing special going on over here, best to stay where you are
                          Rob

Comment

Listen to these guys riding in below zero weather, here I hate the 80 degree 50-60 mph dust storms here in the spring....
                            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Not happy about putting the bikes away for winter here either! Hoping it warms up for a few more rides, last year I rode all the way into December but this pre-Thanksgiving cold spell might signal the end of my season. I'll take the heat and dust storms over the snow in the winter here in Utah but you can keep the heat in the summer!
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------
                              2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Working...
                              X