Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New and need some advice ..exhaust and fuel

Hi guys

Have just purchased a 1983 katana M and have done some work to it and got is riding fine
    the one problem is when you rev over about .4.5 5000 RPM the bike seems to bottom out
    and loose power .

I was thinking maybe bigger jet size ?

any Ideas on this be great .. and great site as well so much good information !!

cheers

List ALL the maintenance you have done WITH exacting details.

And first thing I was suspecting is that your gonna say cleaned the carbs. With what and HOW??

If it wasnt per following this tutorial..your carbs are not clean and need be to ensure thats not the problem. I am assuming you have the BS (CV ) carbs...

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

OOPS...Just saw this is your first post so you couldnt have seen the tutorial. Anyway here the best little website your ever gonna have in your favorites files.

And DO NOT go buying any aftermarket "rebuild kits " full of useless crap. All you need for the carbs is some carb dip, that tutorial, and some orings from our member Robert Barr. His little place has all you need for rebuilding carbs in 1 tiddey kit. 1 kit per full rack. And go to page 3 for the intake manifold orings to ensure the entire system is full of fresh new orings and at optimal health.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

While you're reading, take and send pic of bike. Maybe some previous owner mucked with intake system . Does this thing have a air filter element installed?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by kinetica View Post
          Hi guys

Have just purchased a 1983 katana M and have done some work to it and got is riding fine
          the one problem is when you rev over about .4.5 5000 RPM the bike seems to bottom out
          and loose power .

I was thinking maybe bigger jet size ?

any Ideas on this be great .. and great site as well so much good information !!

cheers
          Yes, ideas would be great, like ...
          - what changes have been made to
          - what maintenance has been done
          - stock intake or pods
          - stock exhaust or header

Yes, we do have a bunch of good information available, but we need to know what we are working with.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

go out and ride it -- at the same time while the problem you are having - open the choke/enrichener a little and close it - how it reacts will tell you if it needs more gas or not . you really want the enrichener to kill the engine with too much gas because you are already getting enough through the standard circuits. -- if it runs better you need more gas.

double check your ignition advancer unit -- it has to turn easy forward and snap back.
            SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
            X