Please help!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help!!!!!

So I acquired an 83 GS1100e with some problems I wanted to take care of before making it roadworthy(leak in the top end and front end problems). After taking down the top end down to replace gaskets I cannot get the bike to run properly. It fired up right away with the choke on but would die as soon as the choke was removed or any gas was given. at this point I tore the carbs down for a much needed rebuild and to replaced a diaphragm that had a hole in it, thinking this was my problem. Upon replacing the carbs I am still having the same results. Would not having the airbox installed completely cause this with the CV carbs? I have installed the airbox before tearing the carbs apart and this didn't seem to make a difference at that time. At this point im leaning towards this or a timing problem, Any help would be greatly appreciated as looking at this forum I can see there are many knowledgeable people on these bikes. Thank you in advance

Timing is off? cam timing is off? bench synch is wayyy off? You should be able to start the bike with the air box off.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

These CV's like their airbox installed if they still have stock jetting- did you note main jet sizes when you "rebuilt" carbs? rebuild carb kits can be inferior to stock stuff. Proper Carb cleaning is a must on these carbs.
      this recent acquisition probably needs lots of maintenance- have a look here to see common issues....

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thank you all for your quick replies! So to answer said questions, yes the jetting remained the same on all jets and the only ones not replaced( but cleaned very well) were the main jets. I have just removed to valve cover to check timing and all seems to be well there. All cam points line up with the crank at the T 1-4 mark and the valve clearances are set to spec. I still need to completely install the airbox and filter to rule this out as my problem but I am trying to go back through anything that was disturbed to recheck my work. I am getting spark at all 4 plugs but #'s 2and3 were wet so I would have thought there was an issue with timing

Comment

Throw a shop rag ( single layer thick ) over the carb throats and give it a try. that little restriction is needed for the carbs to suck fuel up from the bowls.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by GS Novice View Post
            ...I acquired an 83 GS1100e with some problems...
            Please don't give up - you've got a very desirable bike (particularly the engine).
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Cannot and will not give up, most of the literature I have found on these bikes is rather vague so I figure besides this site the only way I'm going to figure the problem out is by trial and error( mostly error I've found). Either way the replies are helping me get going in the right direction so I'm hoping I'm almost there.

Comment

Dont know what you mean by "cleaned very well" but if it wasnt to the specs indicated in this tutorial youve got gunked up internal passages in the carb bodies. Some Berrymans or similar carb dip, a CV oring kit, and new bowl gaskets will be in order. Untill the carbs are 100% without anyn doubt rebuilt youre gonna chase your tail.

Heres the turorial and a link to one of our members website where he sells the kit for the carbs. 1 kit does all 4 carbs.

1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If you still have stock jetting, the bike will never run right without the air box installed, an OEM air filter element in place, the lid in the airbox, and all the rubber boots properly sealed. You must start there to get it running before trying anything else.

You are wasting your time trying to troubleshoot issues without starting at square one.
                  sigpic

SUZUKI:
                  1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                  HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                  KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                  YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

CV carbs WIL run till about up to 3,000 RPMs and then they start to stumble. I think I may have some video on photobucket to support this..i will try to find it.

Comment

Heres Gregs GS 1000S running and no airbox

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Thank you all again for all your hospitality and help, not enough people like yourselves these days. So I have taken all advice to heart and have rechecked timing, valve clearances, and bench sync on the carbs. So far so good as I'm calling it a night but will start the bike in the morning to see where I'm at. Wish me luck!!!

Comment

".....but would die as soon as the choke was removed or any gas was given."
                          your carb cleaning failed to clean the pilot/idle passages - tiny,so bike can't get enough mixture to stay running once you remove "choke" circuit. As mentioned, bike should start and idle OK with or without airbox provided idle circuits are clean.
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If the engine is warm and it will not idle without the choke circuit in operation, then you will need to sort out the pilot/idle passages (as above). Before that, just check that the idle adjustment (main single adjustment knob) is not set to 0. Fire the thing up, warm it up and try to close down the choke and at the same time adjust the idle knob to see if you can keep it going.

For testing purposes, you do not need an airbox or exhaust and you will be able to rev the bike up to test the main jets are working. Of course do not ride it like this.

If after the engine is warm and idling without the choke and you have no throttle response like this:

Then it's no fuel coming through the main jets. Most likely float heights wrong or (as was in my case) the main jet needle assembly was put together incorrectly (my fault). This is what I did wrong:

Left side is correct!

Greetings
                            Last edited by londonboards; 11-30-2014, 03:33 PM.
                            Richard
                            sigpic
                            GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                            GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                            Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Thank you again everyone for your input, so after talking to friend that uses this engine in his dwarf car and seeing all of your replies related to the airbox, my curiosity got my better interest and I dove into the carbs once again. As far as body and passages go the carbs are great, but as I was going to reassemble I noticed the pilot jets that came in the new carb kit had holes in the sides of them which the old ones did not. I checked further into the other parts used from the kit and they were all different in one way or another. I'm praying my issues are answered with this find but I am going through the carbs again one by one to see if I find anything else inside

Comment

Working...
                              X