33mm smoothbores stock gs1000 kerker and pods jetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

33mm smoothbores stock gs1000 kerker and pods jetting

I recently purchased some 33mm smoothbores and was told they would work fine on my stock 1000 with a kerker pipe and pods. Can anyone tell me what jetting to run with this set-up and will it really work OK with good throttle response? Thanks alot for any help. Having trouble getting this thing to run at all. Really think something is missing in these carbs. Will not pull taking off normally and does not want to run off choke. Help!!

Found a bit of info on the net but not a great deal, maybe the 33's are just not suited to the bike, on one of the links there is a GS1000 that had inlet restrictions fitted, maybe 29mm are more suited but I realy don't know.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

Well, let's start at the begining.

How long have you owned the bike?

Did it run before you put the 33s on?

IMHO, 33s would be better suited to something a bit more modded

GregT would know, he's got several bikes set up with 33s
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Good info there, Chris.

spence, a stock GS1000 engine should be using 29s. Hopefully you can get yours sorted.

I had a set of 33s and the info that came with them said the stock setup was 132.5 main and 17.5 pilot.
        The other thing about smoothbores are a tendency to stumble a bit in the lower revs if you wfo the throttle.
        A couple other things to look at in this thread.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

steve's right 29mm smoothies are best on a stock or 1085 gs1000
          the 33mm carbs suit bigger motors up around the 1200cc or better
          29mms will give you plenty of lowdown grunt as well as more top end where as the 33mm will kill the bottom end power of a 1000cc engine

ozman

Comment

Spence, the 29s work well on a stock motor 1000. the 33s work better on a bigger motor with cams & head work. The 33s work well on a stock 16 valve 1100 but that is a different animal that has a better head design in stock form. I hope this helps. Do you have a small port head or a large port? 79 & earlier are small port & 80 up is large port.
            Ray.

Comment

I have not had the bike long . did not run well with the stock carbs. Would not pull to redline easily and had float hangup problems. Also they were corroded internally like I had not seen before. I bought these carbs not looking for power but because they were supposed to be a good set of carbs. Hoped to bolt on (with some manifold mods) and have the bike run pretty much right. I know they are more than I need for my stock motor. They were just available locally for a reasonable price so thought I would try them. I am puzzled a little about the pilots that sit deep in a cavity as opposed to the 26mm pilots haging way out. Have not been able to find a nice clear exploded view of these things. Is there supposed to be a plug under the pilot going to the float bowl? Something is just terribly wrong with what I have.

Comment

If you want streetability then the 33's on a stock 1000 will not be for you. My 1000 is bored to 1085 with porting and several other things and while at 4000 rpm and above it is a riot to ride, below that it sucks. My experience so I put on a set of BST34SS of a gsxr and she is much more streetable, just not as much power up high in the rpm's.

cheers,
                Daryl
                1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

I have a Kawi 1100 that is bored out to 1170. I have 33mm smoothies with a Kerker header and K&N pods. Agree that it stumbles at low rpm if you give it too much throttle, but once you get into the midrange it becomes a lot of fun. Here is a page with some tuning tips.

IBA# 12860
                  Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                  1984 KZ1100R
                  2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                  2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Schematic of the 33s.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks to all for your input. I am going to go back to stock carbs after reading all this and the aperaceparts piece. Was just hoping to get a chance to run down the road with this set-up once to get a top end feel since my old carbs were not getting there.

Comment

Did I miss the part where you mentioned which year your stock 1000 is or what the stock carbs that fit that cylinder head are? ('79 and earlier or '80-up?) Chain or shaft drive?

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
                          Did I miss the part where you mentioned which year your stock 1000 is or what the stock carbs that fit that cylinder head are? ('79 and earlier or '80-up?) Chain or shaft drive?

just taking a guess here
                          as it appears he has the 33mm smoothies fitted it must be a 80 model with the 34mm CV carbs theres no way you can get 33mm smoothbores into the manifolds for 26mm as on 78/79
                          getting 29mm smoothbores into them is a tight squeeze

ozman

Comment

Ozman, I realize that logic but I once knew an idiot that used to visit this forum and bought some stupid adapter manifolds just so that he could have some sort of bragging rights
                            that he was running 33 smoothies in his '79 Cooley. I tried to talk the fool out of it and he refused to listen to me. After he installed them anyway, I also tried to get him to jet them
                            so that it might at least run close to the stock 26mm carbs that he replaced but he preferred to make smoke clouds and chase mosquitoes away believing in his tiny little brain
                            that it was running really well.
                            THAT, is why I ask such seemingly dumb questions. Stupid does what stupid wants to do sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                            X