Carb/Grampa issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb/Grampa issues

Gramps bought me a chain drive 650 4 cylinder bike for Christmas and we are working to get it running. Carbs were in a box when he got the bike and last weekend I came over to work on bike wiht him. From reading the site I understand the carb rework process but gramps had his own method. He sprayed cleanser in the mouths and then we went to putting them on. I don't think he has much or any experience with multi-carb bikes. Any way we got them back on the bike and got it to start with shooting some strater fluid and it runs a little on full choke but dies right away like it's not getting gas when you shut choke down. I realize from reading on your site that this is not preferred method to overhaul the carburetor/fuel system but how do I convince gramps? I wish he had a computer or wifi at his house, it would be a lot easier to show him the proper method.

Would he be willing to accept a call from me?

I would be happy to call and explain it to him.

As you have seen, there is a LOT more to it than just a couple of spritzes.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Download the carb rebuild tutorial and print it out for him. Explain that gas isn't what it use to be. Add that after years of abuse the garbage gas we buy now just gums things up faster. He'll appreciate the fact that things were better when he was younger.
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

And print out this pic, so gramps can see the tiny passages his spritzing won't touch- unless all passages are cleaned out, this thing will run poorly and annoy both of you.
        Attached Files
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Take the carbs home with you, say "gramps, I got this" and do the job yourself! It takes some time to do right and is not really a two-person job anyway. Have gramps help out with the rest... but familiarize yourself with the factory service manual and the rest of the information scattered around the forum and BassCliff's site just in case. Remember that although he gave you a bike and you shouldn't take this act of generosity for granted, it's ultimately going to be your butt in the seat if something goes wrong out on the road.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

He may soon figure out that his method has not been a complete success
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Take them when hes gonna be away for a few days and do them per the tutorial. get the orings from cycleorings.com and rebuild them without him knowing.

The have him over to reinstall them and give him his glory.....
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Would he be willing to accept a call from me?

I would be happy to call and explain it to him.

As you have seen, there is a LOT more to it than just a couple of spritzes.

Wow, thanks for the offer Steve! I will talk to gramps again this weekend and see if he is up to calling you, gramps can be a bit funny and doesn't like talking on the phone not even to me... when he orders a pizza he goes in in person! I think maybe the best thing would be for me to print out the pics and see what he thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                  Download the carb rebuild tutorial and print it out for him. Explain that gas isn't what it use to be. Add that after years of abuse the garbage gas we buy now just gums things up faster. He'll appreciate the fact that things were better when he was younger.
                  Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  And print out this pic, so gramps can see the tiny passages his spritzing won't touch- unless all passages are cleaned out, this thing will run poorly and annoy both of you.
                  Originally posted by eil View Post
                  Take the carbs home with you, say "gramps, I got this" and do the job yourself! It takes some time to do right and is not really a two-person job anyway. Have gramps help out with the rest... but familiarize yourself with the factory service manual and the rest of the information scattered around the forum and BassCliff's site just in case. Remember that although he gave you a bike and you shouldn't take this act of generosity for granted, it's ultimately going to be your butt in the seat if something goes wrong out on the road.
                  Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  Take them when hes gonna be away for a few days and do them per the tutorial. get the orings from cycleorings.com and rebuild them without him knowing.

The have him over to reinstall them and give him his glory.....
                  Thanks everyone. Will take all the advise given and see what happens this weekend

Comment

Take Steve up on his offer...

Comment

Originally posted by cyclepat650 View Post
                      ?...gramps can be a bit funny ....
                      Yes, us old guys tend to this behavior-it's a survival instinct! Anyways,convince gramps that you want to do this sorta alone and are happy he will be there to back you up as needed.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Well gramps got aheadd of me and took the carbs back off the bike and took them to a shop. Shop refuses to work on them due to a broken tower (see pic). Are we screwed on this and need a new set? I have the carb set now, gramps is leaving it in my hands as he thinks I am a little more in tune with what I am doing (also he and grandma are going to Wisconsin tomorrow for a week). Where do I go from here?carbs2.jpg

Comment

That broken piece should not be a problem, ya never know what is inside though.

V
                          Gustov
                          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                          81 GS 1000 G
                          79 GS 850 G
                          81 GS 850 L
                          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                          80 GS 550 L
                          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                          2002 Honda 919
                          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

If the screw inside there is intact, that is absolutely not a concern.

That shop did you a huge favor by refusing to work on them. No only would they have likely done it wrong (either by not getting things clean or further mucking things up), but they would have deprived you of your money and the truly invaluable experience of learning to do it yourself.

Get your o-ring kit, follow the instructions, make sure you have all of the tools and supplies you need, have confidence in your capabilities, and take your time. When you're all done, put them back on the bike and if it doesn't idle beautifully with fresh gas, I'll eat my hat.
                            Charles
                            --
                            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                              If the screw inside there is intact, that is absolutely not a concern.

That shop did you a huge favor by refusing to work on them. No only would they have likely done it wrong (either by not getting things clean or further mucking things up), but they would have deprived you of your money and the truly invaluable experience of learning to do it yourself.

Get your o-ring kit, follow the instructions, make sure you have all of the tools and supplies you need, have confidence in your capabilities, and take your time. When you're all done, put them back on the bike and if it doesn't idle beautifully with fresh gas, I'll eat my hat.
                              Yes, there is a screw in there for sure. I think your right, we probably dodged a bullet. Now just got to get the funds together for cleaners, orings, ect. I'm a week away from payday I am acutally looking forward to it but also a little concerned. I have spent at least a couple hours just reading carb threads and so many have trouble after the fact, I assume not following protocol. I'm going to go nice and slow and try to do it right the first time. BTW I love this site!

Comment

Working...
                              X