To DynoJet or not to DynoJet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To DynoJet or not to DynoJet

Hey all, I apologize if this has been asked before and I'm sure I'll get the raging "didn't you search" answer, but I couldn't quite find anything I was looking for. Still new and learning a lot so any advice, tips, etc would be greatly appreciated.
    Today's topic: pods and dynojet kits.

I have an 81 Suzuki GS550L. Ran great all summer long, no complaints, while doing some aesthetic work I realized there is a hole in the boot between the air box and carbs. Not sure how the hell it got there, I can only assume its the work of some idiot as I share a garage with many people (I live in an apartment building down town Milwaukee). While I had the thing apart the thought of pods danced in my head. I have been researching and researching as much as I can before just pulling the trigger to avoid the typical novice freak out. That being said from what I understand from the PPP! Sticky is that with the later model CV carbs its best to go with a dynojet kit. However, that being said it doesn't seem like I can find one for an 81 GS550 on their website. I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction and any reconsiderations would be great.

Thanks!

Also, I don't plan on changing the exhaust as it is already a 4 to 1 style, not sure if that changes the kit I may or may not need

Comment

Originally posted by kacken View Post
      Also, I don't plan on changing the exhaust as it is already a 4 to 1 style, not sure if that changes the kit I may or may not need
      You'll need good pods and a dynojet kit to help avoid frustration. Since it "ran great", consider just replacing damaged airbox boot- how big a hole is it?
      Z1 enterprises lists a kit for 82 550- not sure why the 81 isn't included?
      here's the one for the 650 probably real close to what you would need as far as main jet size and needle BUT I'm unsure

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Is this your setup? Where's this hole?

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          You'll need good pods and a dynojet kit to help avoid frustration. Since it "ran great", consider just replacing damaged airbox boot- how big a hole is it?
          here's the one for the 650 probably real close to what you would need as far as main jet size and needle BUT I'm unsure

http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...82&item=DJ3310
          other than K&N is there a preferred reputable "good pod"?
          I considered just replacing the boot, however I really like the clean center look for my cafe/brat project. I like how clean it looks. But hey, that's just me.

Is this your setup? Where's this hole?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Suzuki-...cb30ef&vxp=mtr
          Tom, that is indeed the set up. If you're sitting on the bike the hole is on the right size. About the size of a pen. The bike has since been relocated to the in-laws garage, but its rather crammed in there. Its the winter project until spring rolls around.

Comment

other than K&N is there a preferred reputable "good pod"?
            APE pods look just like K&N, cost less than half. Very happy with mine.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...82&item=DJ3310

I do believe that the kit would work for you. I have a stage one installed on my 1100 with pods and went with recommended jets included in the kit for my situation and adjusted the needle. Many here will tell you not to use the jets included and go through a huge process to get it right.

If you go with pods and a kit with 4/1 pipes, consider going up one size on the pilot jet.

JMO

V
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I should be good to go with whatever comes in the kit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the 81 GS550L came with a 4 to 1 on it stock. At least thats what it sure seems like to me. Only one way to find out. Order it up and give it a shot.

gustovh, so just I understand, what sort of needle adjustments are needed?
                Still learning alot

Thanks!

Comment

You would be changing the needles in the slides with the ones in the kit. Each of them has a series of notches at the top that is used to clip the needles to the slides. Moving the clip up or down on the needle enriches or leans the fuel mixture for mid and high rpm.

For example, I was running very lean in the 6-7000 rpm range, so with Chef1366's advice, I raised the clip and lost the washer, game over. That part by the way is not in the instructions.

V
                  Gustov
                  81 GS 1000 G
                  79 GS 850 G
                  81 GS 850 L
                  80 GS 550 L
                  2002 Honda 919
                  2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Can someone tell me what the rubber hose that runs from the engine to the factory boot is and what it accomplishes?

Comment

Its pretty dirty now, its going to get a good clean. But here is the tube I am asking about

screen shot windows

picture share

Comment

Crankcase/valve cover vent hose. If you run pods, it is a good idea to place a filter or wrap a rag around the end that hangs down.

V
                        Gustov
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        80 GS 550 L
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

If you're bored and like the pod look, spend some money. Otherwise just patch the "pen" size hole. In any event ,if bike is going to be sitting for the winter ,make sure you run some stabil thru it now or carb fun will be on your spring to-do list
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

If I go the patch route, any suggestions on best way to patch it up?

Comment

If I go the patch route, any suggestions on best way to patch it up?
                              So many methods come to my mind, it's scary. How about using the hole to stick a fiber optic camera ( borescope) in there so you can watch/record the vacuum slides go up and down? I'm sure someone has done this , but I need a link!
                              1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                              X