Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980GS850GLT airbox snorkle and loss of power in a crosswind

I was just reading another thread

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

and learned that I don't have a snorkle on my aribox either. Not only that but the el-cheapo air filter element I bought off eBay, does not have a bottom - or top - depending on which way you look at it. Which way is it supposed to go ?

I'm having some difficulty diagnosing a symptom and correcting it, that could be described as "loss of power in a crosswind". Can anyone point me in the direction of a replacement snorkle or some photographs of one so maybe I can try to make something to duplicate it's function ?

Also, does the air filter element need a top - or bottom depending on which way you look at it ? I have had to jet larger than everyone here suggests, just to get the engine to run well and now I'm thinking maybe it's because the air filter setup I have, is not restrictive enough.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-31-2014, 12:26 PM.

Yes, lack of snorkel can cause that. It's designed to suck in non-turbulent air from the area directly beneath the seat.

Show us a picture of your air filter, not sure what you're talking about.

I'm running a K&L filter inside my airbox and it works great.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

They run just fine, better in fact, without the snorkel installed. Your problem is most likely a leaner than the stock lean condition. Try going up one or two main jet sizes and report back.
      The air filter has the opening on top and it should be obvious which way it goes in as only the top has the rail that fits into the airbox. Does it have a seal around it?

Comment

You're best bet for picking up a snorkel is either through a member here or on ebay.
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
          They run just fine, better in fact, without the snorkel installed.
          I'm sorry, but that is totally incorrect -- it's been proven many, many times that shafties really do need the snorkel. Other bikes may benefit from snorkelectomies + rejetting, but not these.

The stock air filter is a foam element around a metal "cage". I suspect the OP may be missing the cage part of the equation, or perhaps the cage needs to be sealed to the airbox with weatherstripping.

Proper airbox sealing is essential. Air should only enter where it's supposed to, and the air filter cage also needs to be sealed to the inside of the airbox so dirty air can't bypass the filter.

Here's how:

Addressing other intake leak issues:
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

PM sent tirebiter.

Comment

OK, My bad.

In my jubilant glee after reading the linked post I assumed my latest problem had been solved already. I think the tone of my original post in this thead reflects my mood at the time. I had a chance to look at some photos on eBay and elsewhere to see what the snorkel looks like.

In my haste I had not taken time to double check my bike. I went out to double check my bike and STUPID ME ! It IS there. I posted in haste.

Sorry for the misrepresentation. It was not on purpose.

Oh well, back to the front lines trying to sort out this o0ne out. Thanks anyway and I appreciate everyone's intent and help.

Comment

One more thing. I will take the airbox off and take some photos of it and the air filter element, I'm running. Probably be a day or two. It's COLD out here today !!!

Comment

If the bowl vent lines are misrouted, this can cause some utterly baffling behavior in crosswinds and/or different velocities.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                  X