Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air mixture screw small metal washer question --- Help Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air mixture screw small metal washer question --- Help Please!

Working on 82' 650E. Two of the carbs were completely missing the small metal washer that goes with the air mixture screw assembly. Went to hardware store and they have nothing like it. Looked / stared at parts fiche for an hour at Parts Outlaw and I swear they are NOT showing the air mixture assembly at all. I need real help here, I'm stuck! Anyone figure it out I could really use the part number

Did you get all 4 orings out? If so you should have gotten all 4 washers as they are between the springs and the orings. Sudco shows the washers on the RS smoothbore schematic. Maybe someone can confirm these will fit your and you can order from them.

If they are a universal washer then your in..or you can see if someone has them laying around by an add in the parts wanted section.

Number 29 here..

Parts list..

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Comment

Robert has the washers??? Didnt know that!!! Cool.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Buy yourself a $3.00 cheapo set of dental type picks and go fishing, they are likely in there stuck down or to the sides. Like Chuck said, did you get all 4 rubber o-rings out?

Comment

Originally posted by Scout View Post
              Buy yourself a $3.00 cheapo set of dental type picks and go fishing, they are likely in there stuck down or to the sides.
              Even better (and cheaper), is a drywall screw.

Put the point in there, twist it ever so gently, it will snag the washer and/or o-ring and pull them out.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I like the pick or bend the very end of a fine wire...jack that screw in just a tad too much and youre tearing up the bevel of the seats...I dont like a screw idea at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Even better (and cheaper), is a drywall screw.

Put the point in there, twist it ever so gently, it will snag the washer and/or o-ring and pull them out.

I'd argue the pick is a better idea myself but I can see where a screw would work too ... but more chance of "screwing" up the threads

Comment

If you KNOW there is a washer and/or o-ring in there, you will not get anywhere near the bevel.

If you use a #6 drywall screw, there is so much clearance to the threads, there is no chance of damaging them.

The very slight amount of pressure that it takes to engage the threads of the screw against the device you wish to remove is also nowhere near enough to cause any damage.

Feel free to use whatever you wish, I will continue to use what works for me.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There's actually a spec for these -- milspec, or US Navy, or something, don't quite recall. If I can find it, I'll post it. That way, if my supply dries up or something, whoever reads this will know how to find them. Unfortunately, when I bought them, they were only in quantities of 500, but who knows?
                      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                      __________________________________________________ ______________________
                      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        If you KNOW there is a washer and/or o-ring in there, you will not get anywhere near the bevel.

If you use a #6 drywall screw, there is so much clearance to the threads, there is no chance of damaging them.

The very slight amount of pressure that it takes to engage the threads of the screw against the device you wish to remove is also nowhere near enough to cause any damage.

Feel free to use whatever you wish, I will continue to use what works for me.

Steve, I used your screw method and ended up fishing the other two out, a couple less things to buy anyway. Still not done with them yet but I guess not a rush right now...it's a little cold out LOL

Comment

Yup...whatever works for you. But I lean to the side of caution...less swearing that way.

Comment

Working...
                          X