38mm GSXR 750 carbs on a GS 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

38mm GSXR 750 carbs on a GS 1150

I bought a set of 38mm GSXR 750 carbs off the GSXR forum from a guy in California. They are in process of being rebuilt and sonic cleaned and I have several question about installing them on my 85 GS 1150E. I won't receive the rebuilt carbs for a while and thought I would get a head start on anything else I need.

1. Do the stock 1150 carb boots need to be replaced with GSXR intake boots or will the GS 1150 intake boots work?
    2. Will the stock throttle cable & choke cable work with the GSXR carbs? If not what will?

Gsxr boots are different you will use the GS boots. I would think the cables should work?
    sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
    1994 gsxr1100w
    1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

GS boots are small...those CV's are huge...1150 factory boots are the largest available though.
      a slight maybe on the throttle cable(single).
      no go on the choke cable.

Comment

I'm no fan of the bar-mounted choke, anyway.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

OK I have not had a set of these carbs in hand yet, that was the reason for the questions. I finally found a set for sale on ebay that had photos of the carbs from six angles. This set of GSXR 38mm carbs had the choke pull carb mounted. I assume all of these GSXR 38mm CV carbs have the choke pull mounted on the carb rack? Like GS1150pilot I like it that way, simpler & less to go wrong.

Comment

I found the stock gs cable too long on my Kat with 36mm sling shots. The stock boots work fine, but 2mm maybe more difficult.

I bought a GSXR throttle cable and was able to use the stock bar housing. Some modifications were neccessary to the plastic adjustment threads and collar near the housing. I basically had to cut a slot through the plastic threader to allow the use of the gixxer cable and GS housing.

Also orignally I had a mechanic friend shorten a stock gixxer cable, but the latest one I bought had to go on the 2nd hole in the throttle housing.

The idle adjustment knob on the carbs was touching the cam chain tensioner, so I had it shortened. Your choke knob might veer off to the left and not an issue.

Another tip I can suggest is to put the throttle cable on the carbs before they're mounted and fish it up through the frame. It's near impossible or really

frustrating trying to get the cable end on the carbs.
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

had these carbs on my efe work well had 145 mains can't remember the other settings, used gsxr cable and the gsxr throttle sleeve and switch

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

So, is it possible to get 38 mm slingshot carbs to work well with an 1150?
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                  X