Exhaust leak? Fuel mixture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust leak? Fuel mixture?

I'm going to copy and paste my other Thread as it contains info on my question.

Hello! My name is Ruben.
    I been a regular visitor on the forums! All this Threads have been super useful and helpful!
    I finally decided to register and ask a question as I am stuck on this built.

I have a 77 gs750 that I'm building in to a cafe. Had it for about 8 months. Slow project and first bike build.
    I bought this bike running but in really bad shape, Previous guy just got it running to sell it. Not mad, got it for $450 with clean tittle.
    Started work on it.

So far I :

Re ringed pistons, new gaskets, new fluids, did frame work, did Seat, had to get pods (hate them) because previous owner lost air box, rebuild carbs, got re jetted (pain in the ...) Valve clearance adjusted, new ignition coils, new battery, rebuild petcock, fork seals, new brakes and rebuild calipers. Not in this order...

I got it running a few days ago, rode it and it would bug if opened to 1/2 throttle. Left it alone as I was waiting on bigger jets and didn't want to mess with the carbs. Jets came in, I re adjusted float height, changed to 117.5 mains and stock idle jets, lowed needle 2 notches. I got it back together, everything seemed ok. Tried cranking and it would not start. It would ignite but not catch. Removed spark plugs to check them and clear cylinders. No spark on coil for cylinder 1-4. So i checked ignition timing and it was a off, adjusted timing. Tested with light on point to make sure contact was breaking. Then...Random Weak intermittent spark on Coil for Cylinder 1-4...I checked the coil by changing the leads of coils 2-4 to it, and it worked! So both coils are good. Checked all connections, re did ignition timing, cleaned points. Everything good. but still weak spark on 1-4 (Coil 2-4 have a beautiful thick blue spark)

So got new condensers in and it ran on first try! I'm sure i got an air leak as it revs up on idle, I will work on this today. There is a loud noise coming from the engine! Could this be caused by exhaust leak? I can see a bit of smoke coming out of cylinder 1 port. Or maybe improper fuel mixture?

Also, it seems to smoke a bit, i have not broken in the new rings, is this normal for the first few miles?

Thanks in advance!

it will smoke out the pipes until you seat the rings

Exhaust leak means you didn't seat the pipe in the port or are missing the gasket
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
    X