Exhaust clamp bolt stripped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust clamp bolt stripped

Hey folks I have an 81 GS850 and I was removing the exhaust clamps, to get rid of the abomination of an exhaust system that the PO had created and slip in a fancy V&H 4 into 1 system.

I have had experience with exhaust clamp bolts snapping under regular force, so I took the precaution of using a penetrating spray and using my air impact wrench. Three sets came off fine, but the right side bolts stripped themselves. I was surprised it was the bolts that stripped, I kinda figured the aluminium would have lost the battle with the steel.

I'm guessing this is bad. What are some valid next steps? Can I somehow attempt to suck out the shavings from the hole, or do I resign myself to a big job of opening things up?

Oh my I didn't dig deep enough into search. From what I gather these holes are not connected to any oil passages, so I can pretty safely clean them out/tap them clear.

Easy fix right?

Comment

Not fun. So the bolts came out, or are still stuck in there did you mean the heads stripped? If the bolts are still in there, center punch the remains and use left handed drill bits in increasing sizes until the remains spin out.

If the holes are stripped, you can get a helicoil kit or use a keensert/timesert to repair the threads. Good luck!
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by thewozza View Post
        Oh my I didn't dig deep enough into search. From what I gather these holes are not connected to any oil passages, so I can pretty safely clean them out/tap them clear.

Easy fix right?
        Our posts crossed...Should be an "easy" fix, but I've been in that boat before...
        2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
          Not fun. So the bolts came out, or are still stuck in there did you mean the heads stripped?
          I have to take a closer look but none of the above I think. The bolts came out, but the last 8mm or so of two of the bolts themselves are stripped, so I *think* that the threads on the head are still okay but there's no way to be sure until I get in there and check.

But so many posts here are talking about putting in studs and bolts, so I think I'll go that route too.

Comment

Originally posted by thewozza View Post
            But so many posts here are talking about putting in studs and bolts, so I think I'll go that route too.
            Best of luck - I need to do the same on my 850 at some point.

Comment

Working...
            X