No announcement yet.

1981 GS850 headers very tight when installing Vance and Hines pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been vacillating between new pipes and trying to find an old pair in decent shape. Your report isn't encouraging on either front. Not 10 minutes before I read this thread I had made up my mind to use an old set of used pipes. I am nervous now that any used gear I pick up may just set me in for a world of trouble hunting down difficult to diagnose leaks. The new stuff doesn't look much better but at least their customer service sounds acceptable after a little convincing on your part. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by oddcycle View Post
      at least their customer service sounds acceptable after a little convincing on your part. Thanks for sharing.
      Definitely, everyone involved has been motivated to help solve this problem. From a customer service standpoint, this has been a good experience.

Comment

Originally posted by thewozza View Post
        I was thinking though, maybe these aren't actually flaws after-all. Maybe these little flaws wouldn't affect fitment on the other range of bikes that the V&H 12009 fits, and the 1981 GS850G just has exhaust ports that are that tiny bit small enough for it to matter. Even if that's the case, I would NOT recommend using the V&H 4 into 1 pipes on a 1981 GS850G as they don't fit properly.
        If you were to do it over again from the start what would you do?

Comment

Originally posted by oddcycle View Post
          If you were to do it over again from the start what would you do?
          As for stock pipes, ater 30+ years I'm just not sure how many non-rusted exhaust systems are still out there. The only ones I've seen look questionable enough that I wouldn't buy them off eBay - but if you had a set that you could actually look at it might be okay if you can verify that there aren't holes.

I heard MAC makes an alternative:

But since I wrote that bit about not recommending V&H on the GS850 I've softened my position a bit. the devil you know is better than than devil you don't. Knowing V&H's willingness to work with me on the issues was reassuring, and they were adamant that these pipes were supposed to fit so it's possible that it was just a bad run they had manufactured.

Comment

Working...
          X