1981 GS850 headers very tight when installing Vance and Hines pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS850 headers very tight when installing Vance and Hines pipes

I cleaned up the threads, installed studs and now I'd like to put on these 4 into 1 pipes.

But the header flange is really tight in the port, and I'd like advice on how to proceed.

Should I file down the irregularities on the pipes so it fits better?

Should I just muscle it in?

I called them last week but it sounded like the guy was following a script.

Do you mean the 4 pipes won't slip in nicely? Does any one pipe appear to be misaligned more than others? If so you could probably stick pry bar/ pipe in it and orient it better with some muscle.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by thewozza View Post
      I cleaned up the threads, installed studs and now I'd like to put on these 4 into 1 pipes.

But the header flange is really tight in the port, and I'd like advice on how to proceed.

Should I just muscle it in?

I had to file down some of the header flange to fit the V&H pipe to the sons 850. Don't force them in just give them a bit of a filing and all will be good.
      GED

1980 GS850G (BLACK)
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185562
      1980 GS850G (RED) http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=219169
      1980 GS850G (SILVER) (Coming soon)

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old bold riders!!!!!!

Comment

So it turns out the fellah I talked to was just very chilled out. Once I took some pictures, made measurements we made good progress.

I sent the pictures to V&H and they agreed that the pipes were out of round, and that it was a manufacturing slipup. They offered to pay for both ways of shipping to repair this, or suggested I could take it to a machine shop to get them made round. So in theory a guy could probably grind them back, but I'm not going to do this myself on brand new pipes.

I checked into pricing on getting them fixed up locally, but it is pretty expensive ($20/pipe) so I'm going to get the pipes shipped back. V&H says I should get roughly a 1 week turnaround so that's good.

Comment

Ya, I wouldn't pay for something to get fixed when it was their problem. I think you did the right thing and decided to have V&H pay for the shipping and fix it themselves. At least they can't say you did something to void the warranty.
          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

That's good news. Can you post the pictures. Maybe I should have done that first, before filing them down. Not much was needed but when I think about it, it would have taken some of the chrome plating off where corrosion can set in.
            GED

1980 GS850G (BLACK)
            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185562
            1980 GS850G (RED) http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=219169
            1980 GS850G (SILVER) (Coming soon)

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old bold riders!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ged View Post
              Can you post the pictures.
              Yeah pictures are here:
              Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Originally posted by ged View Post
              it would have taken some of the chrome plating off where corrosion can set in.
              I thought so too, but the guy from V&H seemed not to think this was a significant problem - the pipes being SS anyway. But I sure don't know, I'm just an orangutan hammering away at stuff.

Comment

Bad news.

I shipped the pipes to Vance and Hines and they say they cannot be repaired, and they have to place an order to replace it which will take 4-6 weeks. They offered to do this for me, or to refund Bike Bandit which can then refund me.

I think I'll take their 4-6 week lead-time on order, but I'm going to call Bike Bandit tomorrow to see if they can come up with any other options that don't involve me waiting for a month+, or paying more for shipping/duty. I figure that these new pipes will have the care and attention that they deserved, and I won't have to take a chance on another set of pipes not fitting properly.

Comment

At this point I'm just writing for therapy.

Bike Bandit says they have another set in their warehouse, and I've decided that I'd rather have them sooner or later - blow the risk on another set of weirdly shaped pipes.

So here's the bureaucratic mess of it, I need V&H to send the defective pipes back to me, so I can send them to Bike Bandit. At least it is all pre-paid shipping labels.

Comment

just a heads up for what it's worth but V&H pipes have been crap for the last few years...over a decade IMO.
                    they would rather sell big fat mig welded Harley pipes for several hundred a pair.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                      V&H pipes have been crap for the last few years...over a decade IMO
                      That may or may not be true, but I did research the issue here and most people said that they were the best of the two options for replacement pipes.

Let's say I was to start over. My current pipes are rusted to the point that they're only good for scrap metal. I want as close to a stock experience (so no straight pipes for me) but I don't want to buy used pipes from eBay/whatever because they'll just be half-way rusted already. What would you recommend?

Comment

So here's the bureaucratic mess of it, I need V&H to send the defective pipes back to me, so I can send them to Bike Bandit.
                        I managed to slice through the red-tape and now nobody needs to ship pipes anywhere, except to me. Bike Bandit says my next set of pipes is already out for delivery!

Comment

That may or may not be true, but I did research the issue here and most people said that they were the best of the two options for replacement pipes.

Let's say I was to start over. My current pipes are rusted to the point that they're only good for scrap metal. I want as close to a stock experience (so no straight pipes for me) but I don't want to buy used pipes from eBay/whatever because they'll just be half-way rusted already. What would you recommend?
                          i was a dealer for years and seen the quality go down..i am just stating facts.
                          the older bike guys have little choices on new pipes.
                          i myself would have tried to source a nice used older header but again this is me.
                          hopefully your replacement header will fit correctly and give you years of joy

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                            hopefully your replacement header will fit correctly and give you years of joy
                            I got the new pipes last week, and it had the same flaws, but this time on cylinder 2 (the first pipes had the worst flaws on 1 and 4). Tired of waiting I decided to just take a big chance and muscle them on. It was probably stupid to do, but I'm an idiot and I do idiot things. I just kept turning the bolts and that flaw (basically it's a tab on the header that goes into the exhaust port) bent, and it finally stopped moving.

So the V&H pipes are on. I took it for a ride and.............it worked! It doesn't *appear* to be leaking exhaust so I think I've got things seated against the exhaust gaskets and it runs like a champ now. No significant back-firing, and no loss of power like I had with the old pipes.

I should actually upload some pictures of the abomination that was installed on this bike when I bought it, somebody had welded their own 4 into 1 system probably in an attempt to repair the original stuff after it was all rotted out. The central collector was still part of the system, and it had a big hole in it probably about the size of a 25c piece - but the hole was facing up to the oil pan so it was impossible to see it until I got the old exhaust system off. It's all going to the scrap yard in the next run.

I was thinking though, maybe these aren't actually flaws after-all. Maybe these little flaws wouldn't affect fitment on the other range of bikes that the V&H 12009 fits, and the 1981 GS850G just has exhaust ports that are that tiny bit small enough for it to matter. Even if that's the case, I would NOT recommend using the V&H 4 into 1 pipes on a 1981 GS850G as they don't fit properly.

Comment

You would think they would get test fitted at the factory before being sent off.

Comment

Working...
                              X