• Time
  • Show
Clear All

It works!
    Wow

A little of this http://www.ebay.com/itm/221596612155...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    White distilled vinegar and Dawn.
    I'm a good cook.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
      Nice to see people "sharing the wealth" so to speak.

When my Branson 5510 died I ended up building my own sonic cleaner due to cash constraints. The cleaner has an 8L capacity with 120W @40Khz times two transducers. It's not heated though and I wish it was. That's another nice feature I miss.

Have fun with the new toy Bill.
      Mine does have a heater but it take too long so I heat the solution on the stove in an old pot.
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        It works!
        Wow

I'm a good cook.
        And you had doubts? Glad it's working out for you. Now make good use of it.
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

It works!
          Wow

I'm a good cook.
          I lucked into a lightly used Gesswein commercial 6 quart ultrasonic cleaner today for $200 from a jeweler friend. It's a 120 V, 40hz, 270 Watt SS cleaner & SS basket with a heater.
          The carbs you cleaned look so good I ordered the same cleaning solution you used. Care to share your recipe for how much white vinegar & dawn you used with the US cleaning solution & water?

Comment

Originally posted by jstewart View Post
            I lucked into a lightly used Gesswein commercial 6 quart ultrasonic cleaner today for $200 from a jeweler friend. It's a 120 V, 40hz, 270 Watt SS cleaner & SS basket with a heater.
            The carbs you cleaned look so good I ordered the same cleaning solution you used. Care to share your recipe for how much white vinegar & dawn you used with the US cleaning solution & water?
            Mine is smaller than six quarts. I can do two bodies at a time and it's tight.
            I just did a line of Dawn the length of the unit, 2 ounces of cleaner and four ounces of vinegar.
            I'm buying a hot plate for the shop so I can boil the water first. The heater barely heats the water to 100f in one hour.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Mine is smaller than six quarts. I can do two bodies at a time and it's tight.
              I just did a line of Dawn the length of the unit, 2 ounces of cleaner and four ounces of vinegar.
              I'm buying a hot plate for the shop so I can boil the water first. The heater barely heats the water to 100f in one hour.
              When I started my GS 1150 resto project I bought a ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight. It worked but you can only set it for 480 seconds at a time and it took many cycles to do a decent job. When I saw the photos of the carbs you posted I decided I needed something better. The commercial US cleaner can be set for 1 hour and is much more effective. Thanks for the information.
              Last edited by Guest; 02-25-2015, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Hey Chef,

Glad to hear you are liking the cleaning I have had a 7 gallon one myself for a few years. What I found is a good solution helps a bunch. The best cheapest one I found is simple green air craft formula about $20 per gallon. Only need to add a little so it should last you a long time.

Comment

Will you tell me most important benefits of ultrasonic cleaner because till now I didn’t use it before?

Comment

The biggest advantage is it breaks up and cleans areas that you can't see or get to.
                    Last edited by JTGS850GL; 06-03-2015, 04:19 PM.

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                      Agreed that the original Simple Green should not be used. Just for clarification, the SG Pro HD is a completely different product that is designed to be metal safe. Never had it turn anything a darker color.

Standard Simple Green ingredients:
                      Water, Ethoxylated Alcohol, Sodium Citrate, Tetrasodium N,N-bis(carboxymethyl)-L-glutamate, Sodium carbonate, Citric Acid, Colorant, Fragrance.

Simple Green Pro HD ingredients:
                      Water (Aqua), Triethanolamine, Ethoxylated Alcohol, Propylene Glycol Butyl Ether, Tetrapotassium Pyrophosphate, Potassium Silicate, Colorant.
                      Do you use it straight or dilute? Do you throw out a cleanerful as soon as you use it once? I just bought some.
                      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                      1983 GS 1100 G
                      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

I use it straight but then add water as it evaporates over time. I use it for many cleanings. No need to throw it out till it's too grungy to use. When it starts to turn black then either chuck it or filter it and using it some more. I've used a coffee filter to filter it out. You'd be surprised at how much scale gets taken out of the carbs.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thanks. Getting into some carbs (spares) now.
                          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                          1983 GS 1100 G
                          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
                          X