Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about making my Kerker 4-1 baffle..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about making my Kerker 4-1 baffle..

So I recently bought an old, beat up Kerker 4-1 for my 1000G and since I'm not changing my jets right away and to quiet the exhaust up a bit I am going to make a baffle for it.

My question is, is it possible to make and install a baffle where the exhaust and header separate for installation? Basically right under the oil pan? it would be easier to make the baffle there because it is a more cylindrical shape and you'd never see it. But I have a concern that putting a baffle halfway through the exhaust is maybe not okay?

Why "re-invent the wheel"?

Just get a street version of the factory muffler.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Could you post a pic of what you are talking about? I just modified my baffle for my Vance & Hines 4-1. I haven't quite finished it yet (needs welding). I basically took that "cyclone" type baffle out and put a typical straight baffle in its place. It's a 1.5" OD pipe, so depending on how this it sounds/performs I may be making my own to accommodate a 2" baffle.

Comment

Can I put the baffle where I'm pointing with the pink arrow? Where the exhaust separates into two instead of in the megaphone part?

Im making one because to buy a baffle, it'd be more than I paid for the whole damn thing!

Comment

Um, what kind of baffle are you referring to? The typical baffle goes into the megaphone part. The only thing I can think of that you could put there is a screen that helps to prevent backfiring and flames.. I put one of these on my son's go kart.. However that will do nothing for noise control... You need fiberglass packing to absorb the noise. That screen worked well on my son's go kart but it was still loud as hell.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-10-2015, 12:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by motokid837 View Post

Im making one because to buy a baffle, it'd be more than I paid for the whole damn thing!
            With that kind of an attitude, you may as well sell the bike and buy one that is LOT more expensive, because virtually anything you want to do is going to cost money.

Rather than think (and say) "that's more than I paid for the bike", think of it this way: "I saved SO MUCH by buying this bike very inexpensively, I can afford to DO THINGS RIGHT."

What is your design for a "baffle"? The baffle is part of the megaphone. In a "competition" baffle, it is usually straight-through, usually with a 2-inch or larger diameter. In a "street" baffle, there is usually an offset where one pipe directs the exhaust into a middle chamber, and another pipe will direct it to the back. The two pipes overlap, so the exhaust has to make a couple of U-turns in the process, which is why they are a bit more restrictive and a LOT more quiet. Anything you plan to add in the collector area will just be pure restriction.

I have not looked into what Kerker has to offer, but my son had to get a new baffle for his MAC on his 650. Apparently, what fell out was a competition baffle, we installed a street baffle. The cost was only about $55, which is not all that much. If that is going to break your bank, I would suggest getting rid of the bike NOW, because it is going to nickel and dime you to death while you try to pinch your pennies.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I have this one if it's any use to you for modifying the ends or what not
              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                With that kind of an attitude, you may as well sell the bike and buy one that is LOT more expensive, because virtually anything you want to do is going to cost money.

Rather than think (and say) "that's more than I paid for the bike", think of it this way: "I saved SO MUCH by buying this bike very inexpensively, I can afford to DO THINGS RIGHT."

What is your design for a "baffle"? The baffle is part of the megaphone. In a "competition" baffle, it is usually straight-through, usually with a 2-inch or larger diameter. In a "street" baffle, there is usually an offset where one pipe directs the exhaust into a middle chamber, and another pipe will direct it to the back. The two pipes overlap, so the exhaust has to make a couple of U-turns in the process, which is why they are a bit more restrictive and a LOT more quiet. Anything you plan to add in the collector area will just be pure restriction.

I have not looked into what Kerker has to offer, but my son had to get a new baffle for his MAC on his 650. Apparently, what fell out was a competition baffle, we installed a street baffle. The cost was only about $55, which is not all that much. If that is going to break your bank, I would suggest getting rid of the bike NOW, because it is going to nickel and dime you to death while you try to pinch your pennies.

You make a good point Steve, the main reason I try to do things the cheap way is because I'm currently in school and working part time, so I try to pinch pennies where I can, so if I can spend 20 dollars by taking time to drill holes in a 2" pipe, and wrapping it in fiberglass packing and putting a metal screen on one end to help create some more back pressure, id happily try that and see what it did!

P.S. I bought that bike out of a barn for 50 bucks last year

Comment

There is a LOT more to baffle design than drilling some holes and wrapping in fiberglass.

Trying to put some sort of baffle in a 2" pipe will have to neck it down to about 1" or so, leaving only about 1/2" of room between the necked-down part and the pipe. That will flat-out strangle the engine, there is no need to even try going above idle speeds.

The baffle that Carter Turk showed above is an example of a straight-through competition baffle, maybe a 2 or 2 1/2" size. I have one on my bike that looks a lot like that, but has a disk in the middle of the tube that requires all the exhaust to go through the perforations, to the outer chamber, then back through the rear perforations to get to the exit tube. Not quite as free-flowing, but a very nice sound.

Here is a shot that shows the MAC street baffle (on the left) and the competition baffle.

There is just no way you are going to be able to do anything reasonable to quiet the system in the collector, so just save your pennies and get one that is already designed properly.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Motokid, I'm going to agree with Steve on this one. There is almost no way to effectively fit any kind of baffle system into the collector. I imagine it could be done, but it isn't rational. It would be much easier to try and fab up something to fit into the megaphone, or spend $80 and get a replacement baffle with packing.. At least that's what it runs for the V&H replacements.. Good luck with your venture..

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                      I have this one if it's any use to you for modifying the ends or what not
                      I'd get this if it's for your Kerker.
                      Wrap it and install.
                      You still need to rejet. Kerker and Yoshi header & can pipes have a larger ID.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

i never thought i'd hear mac and competition in the same sentence..
                        all the macs i sold over the years had the strange smashed pipe welded to another smashed pipe baffle.

Comment

Working...
                        X