86 gs550 e pilot jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 gs550 e pilot jets

Hi was just wondering which pilot jets i should be using, shes running real rich no matter what i do,ive soaked the carbs twice cleaned em real good blew em out with compressed air used wire to go through small passages, ive replaced all orings adjusted the valves, anyway the clymers online manual lists the pilot jet as #35 but on lets say cheapcycle parts carb diagram it says #37.5which is what is in the carbs now, a k&n air filter and a 4 into 1 exhaust with a supertrapp muffler with as of right now the cap is not installed though i do have it and a stock air box.Do you think the smaller sized jet would be more appropiate ?

You say it has a stock airbox? What kind of shape is the filter in? New AND oiled?

Basscliff has on his site #35 as the correct pilot jet for your carbs.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

The 37.5 appears to be the stock pilot. You say it's running "real rich" .... All 4 plugs ? Float heights correct? Main jet size? Is it running rich mostly at low speeds- so this makes you suspect the pilot size? Or all the time?
      make sure enrichment circuit ( the choke) is not stuck on or leaking
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Mine has 37.5 as well non EPA Canadian Spec I suspect.
        Oilless would cause enleanment no?

Comment

Oiled?

Originally posted by rlg5 View Post
          Hi was just wondering which pilot jets i should be using, shes running real rich no matter what i do,ive soaked the carbs twice cleaned em real good blew em out with compressed air used wire to go through small passages, ive replaced all orings adjusted the valves, anyway the clymers online manual lists the pilot jet as #35 but on lets say cheapcycle parts carb diagram it says #37.5which is what is in the carbs now, a k&n air filter and a 4 into 1 exhaust with a supertrapp muffler with as of right now the cap is not installed though i do have it and a stock air box.Do you think the smaller sized jet would be more appropiate ?
          ive never thought about oiling the air filter,on another note i just tooik out on my first ride around town now im gonna go out and see if she'll start again

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
            Mine has 37.5 as well non EPA Canadian Spec I suspect.
            Oilless would cause enleanment no?
            Yup, and overoiled/dirty would cause it to run a little richer. Just checking boxes, Jeep.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
            X