Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting out and power loss at higher speeds...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting out and power loss at higher speeds...

Soooo... On my gs 650, when i get over 40-45 mph i get drastic power loss and engine cutting out. BUT, it only happenswhen im getting low on fuel.... Twice ive filled the tank to the top and had no problem there after.

So my thoughts are either sediment in the bottom of the tank or a clogged vent hose???

does the tank even have a vent hose? I havent had a chance to look yet... Do either of these ideas seem right to you guys? Am i on the right track? Thoughts? Suggestions? Help???

Tank cap has vent hole. Your petcock might not flow enough fuel when tank approaches 1/4 - might be clogged petcock filter and/or gummed up petcock. Just get new petcock and eliminate it as potential problem for another 30+ years.
    you need to head to Basscliff 's and catch up on maintenance before it catches you!

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Have you tried switching it to REServe?

Any chance you have an inline filter installed?

Stock airbox/exhaust or aftermarket items?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Havent looked for an inline filter or at the airbox yet... The exhaust was cut off by the previous owner so its just straight pipes

Comment

What would switchng it to reserve tell me?

Comment

The petcock has two internal outlets- one (ON) gets fuel from higher up in tank: the other (res)gets fuel from bottom of tank. The latter also supplies fuel to PRI spot on petcock. Fuel might flow better in this spot. Understand that stock petcock is vacuum operated in on and res positions .
            Look inside airfilter box and make sure there is a filter element installed.
            Last edited by tom203; 02-14-2015, 07:20 AM. Reason: Confusion
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks Tom!

Comment

Hi there just letting you know I'm new to the forum and I know this a old thread
                I've got a similar problem but mine just boogs out after I cruise at the same rpm for a couple of min then If I rev it a bit it runs smooth for a while it does not matter how full the tank is. I've tried every setting on the petcock same result and I've also replaced the in line filter
                Any help is greatly appreciated

1983 suzuki gs750e
                Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2015, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Get rid of the filter all together, and try running it with the gas cap open in case the vent is clogged.
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

If the vent is plugged you should find the plug. It will cause the tank to flow over in a hot garage ruining your paint.
                    I have always run inline filters and I need a pingle as the stock petcok would not flow sufficently.
                    I would look at low voltage to the coils and possible Ignition relay mod.

Comment

Thx I will give it a try

Comment

Working...
                      X