tips for reinstalling choke cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tips for reinstalling choke cable

Sorry I've been asking a lot of basic questions but I'm down to little stuff that could use some experience.

I have vm carbs, which require the choke cable housing to be screwed into place. I found this super difficult because as I was turn the housing into the threading there was resistance against the direction I was turning it. I tried to loosen the house from the handlebars to give it some slack but it was still pretty difficult to do.

Anyone have suggestion or tips as to how uninstall/reinstall the choke cable/housing easily?

Got any pictures? I thought all the VM carbs had the lever on the side of them rather than a cable...
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I think all the CV carbs do, but not the VM. I wish it was just a lever so I didn't have to mess with this cable situation.

Comment

Is there some kind of conversion?

Comment

Originally posted by giganticflying View Post
          I wish it was just a lever so I didn't have to mess with this cable situation.
          I've often thought the same thing, as my handlebar lever is so tough that it requires a helping hand on the carbs.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I have the same issue, Rob. Even after I changed the throttle cable itself, and added some lube, and resituated the bolts on the throttle shaft a few times, it's still takes some effort to open the choke fully.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              I've often thought the same thing, as my handlebar lever is so tough that it requires a helping hand on the carbs.
              No intent to hijack, but my 83 1100e choke was quite smooth and easy. Seems you may have a bad cable, or maybe the screw at the center of the choke lever is too tight.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Hello jack

I've been told it would require complete disassembly of the carbs.

(I've already replaced the handlebar parts, as my mechanic forgot and tried to work it without a helping hand on the carbs.)
                Last edited by Rob S.; 02-23-2015, 09:40 PM.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                  I've been told it would require complete disassembly of the carbs.

(I've already replaced the handlebar parts, as my mechanic forgot and tried to work it without a helping hand on the carbs.)
                  Interesting...maybe something to do with the rod that connects the plungers, or the plungers themselves....Anyways, back to the topic at hand..........
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

So, how does everyone else install the choke cable on the VM carbs and do you have the same resistence/tension working against you as well?

Comment

Oh, I figured it out. As dumb as this is going to sound I want to at least document this in case anyone encounters the same thing. It seems like the little cup that the cable housing seats in is a separate piece from the housing. After a while of jostling, the piece just fell off the housing, allowing me to screw it on separately from the housing; without the resistance that comes with the housing being twisted.

Comment

Working...
                      X