Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbs assembled! But I have an extra part...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds rather exciting! Yes I do plan on putting the plate on.

I should have clarified a little better, I was wondering if I do in fact not have original carbs to the bike if it would cause problems. And how would one go about figuring that out?

Comment

There is a VERY faint 5 digit number imprinted on the body of each side of the carb bank near the top, below the cap. The ID number gives the build and correlates to the year and model it was intended for. Here's a link to the table:

In many cases though the number is no longer visible.

Even if you do see the number you'll need to make sure that some PO hadn't changed out anything internally. That same table will show you the jet and needle sizes.
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Well that guide calls for a 49160 ID number and I have a 49150 on mine. Did find a couple posts of others here that had the same carbs as i do with gs1000's

Comment

Gregory...just for future references, the carb throat facing the airbox is commonly known as the "front" of the carbs and the head side is known as the rear.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much then. 49150 may actually be a 49160 or a slightly earlier production. What I would do is verify all the jet numbers. Main=115, Pilot=40 , Pilot air=160 and make sure they're what they should be.
            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Sounds good! Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
                Chuck is right, although I would call that the front and not the back. Mine is on the "engine side" between 1 and 2 between the carbs and head...that is where my cable is routed
                snap, i ALWAYS refer to the front of the carb as the engine side, purely because it is at the FRONT!
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                  snap, i ALWAYS refer to the front of the carb as the engine side, purely because it is at the FRONT!
                  While that makes sense as far as bike orientation. The air enters carbs from the back side of the bike orientation. And every thing exits to the engine. So it makes sense to me.

Comment

Accepted terminology for Front vs. Back of carbs —and all other parts for that matter— reveals itself in most parts fiches. Just had this discussion with our fleet mechanic. Yes, front (or FWD) side of carbs face engine.

'80 GS1000ST
                    '92 ZX-11
                    Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

I was told the FWD on the fiches meerly points to the direction of the front of the bike..not necessarily the front or back of any particular part.
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        I was told the FWD on the fiches meerly points to the direction of the front of the bike..not necessarily the front or back of any particular part.
                        Originally posted by Slycox View Post
                        While that makes sense as far as bike orientation. The air enters carbs from the back side of the bike orientation. And every thing exits to the engine. So it makes sense to me.
                        Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                        Nomenclature... intriguing.
                        Perhaps this should become a poll. I do see both sides of the proverbial coin (or carbs) here. Maybe "engine facing" vs. "crotch facing" ?

(Sorry for the thread hijack, Slycox... but, good to see you're installing the cover. I noticed a couple variants on the design re CV carbs; some have plates, some have wire keepers, and some have nada.)
                        '80 GS1000ST
                        '92 ZX-11
                        Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

its down to personal preference i think. there is no right or wrong. the front wheel is at the front of the bike, the front of the carb is facing the front of the bike. yes, the air enters the carb at the rear,but does that make the entrance the front or the back?
                          Ever heard the phrase " entering through the back door"?

ps. when i was researching and rebuilding my VM29SS, and converting them to TM33's the removable plate on the intake side of the carb has always been referred to as the "back plate"
                          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
                            (Sorry for the thread hijack, Slycox... but, good to see you're installing the cover. I noticed a couple variants on the design re CV carbs; some have plates, some have wire keepers, and some have nada.)

It's all good, I got my answer and I find this discussion interesting so I'm not bothered by it

Comment

To me..and i agree with what i was told...the FWD points to the front of the bike. The picture of the carbs is simply oriented to show its placement on the bike..not that the rear of the carbs is the front.

Comment

Working...
                              X