No announcement yet.

Not another Carb thread!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot would depend on what exhaust you put on there. If it is rather free-flowing (loud), you will probably need to change the needle a bit. It will also require larger main jets than a quieter pipe.

The reason for the difference is directly related to how much air is flowing. By removing the restrictions of the airbox and or stock mufflers, you are allowing more air to flow, which needs more gas. This has a greater effect at, or near, wide-open throttle. Mid-throttle positions will put the restriction in the carbs, not at the intake or exhaust, so jetting changes (needle position) will be minimal. That is also why the pilot jets don't need to be changed, because there is simply no more air flowing at idle than there was before.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Its a fairly free flowing exhaust. I honestly have no idea what kind it is, it has a turn down tip and is black. Thats all I can see from it. I know the main jet was bumped up one size. I just dont see why it cant rev past 6k, and when it gets there it sounds ultra crappy and lean. But i havent had time to adjust the idle circuit yet. Ill do that, reset the air mixture screws and go from there.

Comment

If you're having open throttle issues then get your main jet right first.
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

OK ive set everything to what you guys suggested and we still have an issue. Still wont get past 3.5k revs. I have no idea where to start here....

Comment

Just got past 4.5k but then it makes a terrible bogging sound, almost like its too lean. So from like 1/4 to full throttle, basically nothing happens

Comment

Hi, I had similar issues and spent days changing needle height and jets on the sons bike. In the end I worked out that I had left the snorkel off the rear of the stock air box. Once fitted no more issues. Anyway just wondering have you got yours on? Sometimes its just the simple things........................Regards.
              GED

1980 GS850G (BLACK)
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185562
              1980 GS850G (RED) http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=219169
              1980 GS850G (SILVER) (Coming soon)

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old bold riders!!!!!!

Comment

Hi Ged
                Yes i have attached that hose. I took the carbs off. One main jet had fell out. One of the idle circuits was plugged up. Cleaned it out. Im gonna check all the passages again just to be sure. I dont know if this was the issue but it all helps im sure.

Comment

Ok my main jets are 102 and my idle jets are 15

Comment

Ok sorry for being annoying and posting so much, but heres where im at. I can get it to run all the way to redline now after taking carbs apart and setting everything to factory, but in 3rd gear it starts to bog as its accelerating, then worse with 4th, then 5th it pretty much stops at 6k. Any ideas as to what that might be?

Also, can I see the back of someones air box? Mine has like a 3x9in openeing in the back near the bottom

Edit: I looks like i have no snorkel piece i guess on the back of my airbox. Is that causing this issue? Does it matter if its on or not? I see Ged said it gave him issues? How can i get around this?
                    Last edited by Guest; 03-11-2015, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Yes mate you need it on. If you haven't got the snorkel put some tape over and block about 1/2 the hole and give the bike a run. Will look for a pic of it. Regards.
                      GED

1980 GS850G (BLACK)

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old bold riders!!!!!!

Comment

Have a look at this one for sale, shows a good shot of what the snorkel looks like. I think they are no longer available new and hard to find a good one not cracked or damaged.

GED

1980 GS850G (BLACK)

Comment

Ill try that. I think i read somewhere that the snorkel doesnt make a difference, but ill try and block that hole off a bit. This thing will be the death of me

Comment

Originally posted by cjanderson_90 View Post
                            This thing will be the death of me
                            With an attitude like that, it likely will be.

It would be MUCH better to think "yeah, there are a few more problems than I expected, but I will conquer them!!"

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              With an attitude like that, it likely will be.

It would be MUCH better to think "yeah, there are a few more problems than I expected, but I will conquer them!!"

Ive been trying to get it going since november! Ive taken the carbs off at least 40 times so at least thats a simple thing to do now. Just wish I knew what exactly is causing this issue. Do my jets sound right? 102 mains and 15 idles?

Comment

Originally posted by cjanderson_90 View Post
                                Do my jets sound right? 102 mains and 15 idles?
                                Do your jets just say "102" or do they say "102.5"?

If they just say 102, they are likely not Mikuni jets and are probably the wrong size. If they say 102.5, they are only one size larger than stock, and are likely not large enough to handle your 4 into 1 exhaust, but that won't keep it from starting.

I have just gone back through this thread and can see where you mention that you have cleaned the carbs and changed the o-rings. If that has not happened, any other attempts for adjustment are futile and further suggestions are useless.

sigpic
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                                X