GS550 1977 accelleration problems at high throttle when under load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 1977 accelleration problems at high throttle when under load

Hello everyone, i just registered here on this forum, hoping you guys could help me out.
    I have recently bought a gs550 1977 mod with the quad vacuum carbs, and im trying to get it in good running condition.
    I have it running well at idle, and it performs well when not under heavy load (such as uphill or high speed) especially when i can coax it into high rpm,when i hit 6k rpm or higher it runs great whatever throttle setting. With full or close to throttle under load engine rpm slowly decrease like if the engine gets to little air/fuel.
    I have cleaned and checked the carbs for leaks, adjusted fuel/airscrew to org
    Specs,cleaned the airfilter and sprayed new airfilter oil,
    sealed the airbox,
    changed intake boots orings,
    changed battery and i have ordered a new airbox boot(one damaged but seems to seal), and getting 12v the places ive checked. The bike has a 4in1 exchaustand electronic ignition mounted.
    Its my first 4stroke bike, im a student at this time and im planning to use this bike as dayly driver.
    I have some mecanical knowledge but mostly related to cars and single cylinder 2strokes, any help is much appreciated.

"....gs550 1977 mod with the quad vacuum carbs, "
    Is this a typing error ? The 1977 had VM carbs not vacuum.
    have you checked your petcock for good fuel flow? Carbs might be running out of gas as you load them?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Do you have an inline fuel filter? Have you stripped and dipped the carbs? Have you adjusted the valves? Did you over oil the air filter?

Just some thoughts.
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thanks for the quick answer, the frame number says its a 77 but i suspect that the engine might be from 79 parts bike. I have had the fuelcock open and cleaned it and there seems to come a good amount out of the hose when i tested it afterwards.I have also cleaned the fuel filter. Is there a way to measure if i have the correct flow!

Comment

Can you post pic of your carbs? Maybe you have a1980 engine. You mean you cleaned the in-tank filter? These critters don't seem to like additional filters.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have inline filter, overoiled the air filter first time, then cleaned it and tried again with less.
            I didnt dip the carbs because i was afraid to damage the float holders if i tried to take the float off and didnt want to damage float with the dip, so i removed all jets,dipped them and blew them clean.
            Havent adjusted valves yet, im currently trying to figure out were i can get the right tools to do it but its next on my list when i have new gaskets and the tools neccesary.

Comment

okay. Ill try without inline then. Give me 10min ill go take a pic

Comment

Yep, inline filters of the wrong type can cause flow issues. I still don't hear of any carb cleaning nor any valve adjustments. Nor do I see anything about vacuum syncing the carbs.

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

14263622132351384373295.jpg left side carb

Comment

You have CV carbs so the engine should be an 80+ model unless someone did some very creative intake plumbing. I do see some worm gear hose clamps that aren't very stock. Also not very reliable.
                    Last edited by JTGS850GL; 03-14-2015, 03:50 PM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Im just trying to take things step by step, im learning but this is my first real mc, please have patience with me
                      Do you think i should adjust valves and vacum synch them before i do anything further?

Edit: have bench synched them.

Edit2: one of the carbs had one of the float holders broken and glued back on, this is why i didnt want to risk breaking it again trying to remove floats to soak completely. float height seemed ok when i did basic measurements.
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2015, 03:54 PM. Reason: extra information

Comment

That would be the first steps to getting the bike back in good working order. If you haven't done it yet, the a complete strip and dip of the carbs may be in order as well.

Here's a site with tons of information for you:

You can find the CV carb rebuild tutorial there along with the valve adjustment procedure.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Yes, CV carbs. If it idles and runs decently in mid range loading consider yourself lucky! Do some reading to improve things. Don't push your luck, if you want a reliable ride.

1981 gs650L

Comment

Thanks, ill try do those things then. Do you know any recommended parts sites for gs in europe?
                            I live in the Faroe Islands and it is hard to get parts locally.

Mid range under load is the problem, sorry if i wasnt clear enough. It runs well from idle to around 4000 and very well from 6-7000+ (this is why i was hoping there was a quick fix for it, i dont understand why it runs great at very high and low rpm)

Comment

"... It runs well from idle to around 4000 "
                              I'm a slowpoke ,so that's midrange to me! Others near you will have part sources ideas.
                              1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                              X