petcock / fuel cock '79 GS400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petcock / fuel cock '79 GS400

I've got the smallest of drips coming from the petcock on my 1979 GS400, it mostly drips when switching from reserve to normal position when I've filled the tank up. A complete new petcock seems to cost around $200-$300 USD so two questions:

1. Is there a reliable rebuild kit for a fraction of the price?
    2. If not, is there a reliable petcock to suit at a fraction of the price?
    3. Should I suck it up and spend $300 USD on an OEM fuel tap for a bike that cost me $500?

Remove petcock from tank and measure the centerline spacing of mounting bolts. A common unit has 44 mm , but some have 46 or 50 mm spacing.
    Do you want to keep the vacuum type petcock?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I'm away from the bike for a couple of weeks so can't measure right now, but for arguments sake lets say it's the common 44mm unit. If I remove the vacuum type petcock isn't there a danger it will floor the carbies and pollute the oil just like if the petcock was set to Prime constantly?

Comment

Yep, if you don't have a vacuum petcock and you leave it on there is a high probability of over flowing the carbs.

Rebuild kits of all types have not proven to be reliable. Maybe a 10% to 15% success rate.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          Rebuild kits of all types have not proven to be reliable. Maybe a 10% to 15% success rate.
          Wow, that's terrible. I certainly won't head down that path then. So if I want to retain the vacuum what options are left open to me?

Comment

Doesn't the carb/block just fill up with gas if BOTH the petcock is left open AND the float bowls are stuck or the "fuel inlet needle valves" rather? Does this happen that often? <---please correct me if I'm wrong

Comment

Originally posted by C_OUELLET View Post
              Doesn't the carb/block just fill up with gas if BOTH the petcock is left open AND the float bowls are stuck or the "fuel inlet needle valves" rather? Does this happen that often? <---please correct me if I'm wrong
              Yeah, that's what I would have thought, the floats in the bowl act like the float in your cistern and cut off the flow when there is enough fuel in the bowl. Apparently this isn't enough because I've read several reports here that if you leave the fuel tap on prime you'll pollute the engine oil and need to drain and replace it.

Comment

The floats are rarely perfect. Over time they will leak a small amount. Doesn't take much of a leak to overflow the float bowls. It's the reason why vacuum operated petcocks were created in the first place.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I'd further suggest another reason is so the Japanese could sell motorcycles to people used to driving cars where you never had to turn the fuel on and off.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Probably, and now we have automatic braking, self parking, hazard alert cameras, etc. pretty soon , drivers will be optional!
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

78s were 400s and 79s were 425s
                      Same part number for the 550 and a lot less
                      Shop our large selection of Suzuki OEM parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at 386-740-2452
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

look here...?
                        SKYPE ME AT hard.parts.inc JAPANESE MOTORCYCLE PARTS FOR KAWASAKI, HONDA, YAMAHA, AND SUZUKI GOOGLE GEORGEFIX TO GO TO MY prostore FOR discount pricing and CREDIT CARD USE..... PUT YOUR BIKE IN THE SEARCH BOX TO SEE WHAT I HAVE LISTED FOR YOU CB750 CX500 Z1 XS1100 GS750

otherwise, you can certainly haywire some kind of fuel tap on...jbweld and self-tapping screws can be your friends- Just be sure it has an "off" and that there is a fuel filter somewhere inline with the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by brettule View Post
                          Yeah, that's what I would have thought, the floats in the bowl act like the float in your cistern and cut off the flow when there is enough fuel in the bowl. Apparently this isn't enough because I've read several reports here that if you leave the fuel tap on prime you'll pollute the engine oil and need to drain and replace it.
                          ...a bad vacuum-type tap can cause the oil sump to fill with gas even when on "Run" or "Reserve"...there are TWO ways gasoline can fill the sump:: either the vacuum diaphragm is cracked/holed = leaks and gas goes down the vacuum tube into the engine via carb throat OR if the carb-float needles are weak and again...overflows via carb throat into the sump. I think an interesting factor in the second case is the bike being tilted forward on it's center stand.-gasoline flows forward instead of back into the airbox where there'd be a chance of catching the issue...
                          Rebuild kits probably fail because they seem to be just the rubber bits...and that is not the only way these taps can fail. However, you can sometimes disassemble them and get some more life out of them and tereafter Just park your bike on a slope to be safer...

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                            78s were 400s and 79s were 425s
                            Same part number for the 550 and a lot less
                            http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/...c6bb/fuel-cock
                            I'm finally reunited with my moto and measured the petcock bolt spacing at 44mm. So is the link above still the best value for money if I want a vacuum petcock for mine, the full assembly? Since they are OEM parts can I just buy the gaskets and o-rings or does this still fall under the banner of "petcock repair kit" which has a 10-15% success rate?
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-31-2015, 03:04 AM.

Comment

The cheaper route would be to see if this petcock would work for you with wrong outlet directions

i'm using one
                              skip replacing internal petcock parts- slight changes in manufacturing over 30 years cause compatibility problems.

Edit: there is another version of this petcock with less reserve capacity for less money.
                              Last edited by tom203; 03-31-2015, 06:27 AM. Reason: Info
                              1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                              X