Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

major hassle getting carbs off...and other issues!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

major hassle getting carbs off...and other issues!

here we go again,i am sure there are answers somewhere for all these questions,even if can get directed to links please! started taking carb off my 1980 gsx 750 today, in preparation for replacing the exhaust manifold rubbers, what a major task I made out of that. this is the first time have taken carbs off.loosened off all the clips,but could not find an easy way to get the carb out, had to end up seriously prising the rubbers with a screwdriver, only because am replacing.am very concerned about getting new ones on without damaging.
    next thing is the condition of the fuel, fuel filter got rust in it,and when drained the carb, petrol pretty brown,what can I do to derust the inside of the tank please?
    and finally I see there a post below this about sealing the airbox, my inlet rubbers to box do turn but are not loose,should they be stiff,almost unable to turn?not sure how loose is loose|
    thank you in advance...am sure there answers to all handy, if you can point me in right direction, be appreciated

Not too many of us have "exhaust manifold rubbers" on our bikes, we have them on the INTAKE side.

To get a bit more room, start with the rear fender. The forward part of that has a couple of nubs that fit into rubber grommets in the frame, much like the side covers. Pry them inward to loosen the fender, slide it toward the back of the bike. You will only gain about an inch, but that is all you need. Next, loosen (and remove) the bolts for the air intake box and slide it rearward, as well. That will allow the intake manifold to move even closer to the frame, giving just enough room to slide the carbs out the side.

New boots should be rather supple, they are made of rubber, not plastic. The boots between the intake manifold and the carbs are relatively inexpensive and are definitely worth the investment. Should last another 20-25 years, too.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Remove the rear section of the airbox then unbolt the front section (2 bolts) and pull this bit back after unscrewing the carb to airbox clips. There's plenty of room on a GSX750. If the carb to airbox rubbers are stiff (they should be very soft and flexible) get some new ones. Beware if you do, the Suzuki parts book has these listed incorrectly. You need the rubbers for a GS750T - they're the same part and listed correctly in the parts catalogue.

Read this thread for details of the correct hoses:

Last edited by hampshirehog; 03-27-2015, 12:14 PM.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks for that both of you,had a look n moving airbox makes a lot of sense. Airbox rubbers seem pliable enough..already bought the engine side rubbers from Suzuki,my bike is an et,not es the listing came up as originally the left and right rubbers being different,but been amended and now all the same,they certainly all got the same number as old ones. This make any sense?! Thanks again ��

Comment

Soaking stiffer rubber parts in Wintergreen Oil does make them just like new again. This isnt suggested for the intakes though UNLESS there are no cracks or seperations from the flanges. If they are cracked or seperating they should be replaced. Be sure to get the new orings in the intake manifolds as well.

As for the tank. Take off the petcock and pull the fuel gauge sending unit ( if equipped ) and make some metal cover for these places. Some neoprene makes good gaskets for between the cover plates and the tank. Acetone or MEK will dissolve the gelled up crud in the tank..but keep it off the paint. Drain the tank out the petcock hole into a bucket and youll be stunned by whats gonna come out.

Once the heavy crud is gone you can now derust the tank by several methods. What I do is fill the tank with vinegar and let it set a day or two, rinse the tank out with dish soap and water and keep rinsing till no lore sediment comes out. Then I use a coat hanger with a bent loop on it to run rags inside the tank to soak up the rest of the water. Last, I swish some gas around in there to recoat the raw metal again....done.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks for cleaning the tank info,will give that a go. As said,have new manifold inlet rubbers,don't think my bike takes o rings?! Certainly no old ones!...cant see where any would fit either. If I missing something,please let me know �� ta

Comment

Your 16 valve gs has a different set up to what most of the members have on their bikes.
              No inlet O-rings.

I have a write up on removing and replacing the carbs on my 81 L.
              Your bike should be the same.

Try post 5&6 in this thread.

Comment

Many thanks,that very useful info.didnt think I had o rings,but good to check! Be doing carbs n valves this week coming,cheers again for help ��

Comment

you have inspired me to start a new thread.

This is a good thing.
                  I hope!

Comment

This is a very good thing!�� I would be lost without the help on here...your a star! ❇ ��

Comment

Working...
                    X