Tricky no fuel situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tricky no fuel situation

Here's what's goin on, 85 GSX400 EF, no fuel getting to engine, temporary gas tank is a bottle hooked up to fuel line, fuel is getting to floats, drains out of float drains if I open them.

New fuel line, carbs were just dipped and cleaned, float height set, o ring kit 2000km ago, new spark plugs, new coil relay mod and headlight starter mod, good spark at both plugs. Also has got a brand new air filter (oiled) and charged battery it at 14.8v is this too high?

If I squirt a few drops of gas in the cylinders and hit the starter it will start and rev pretty high for a few seconds then quit.
    Otherwise starter just cranks and plugs don't get wet

Thanks for any help I'm stumped

Added: All stock (exhaust, airbox, needle height, jets)
    Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2015, 06:03 PM. Reason: Update

Pretty simple

Fuel in tank
    Fuel in carbs

No fuel in cylinder = clogged carb
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Carbs came out, soaked the jets in brake cleaner->acetone->carb cleaner->compressed air and cleaned out the holes, then back on, no change, one of my pilot jets is stripped and therefore stuck but there should still be gas coming through right? I also got her started with (sorry Steve) starter spray and quickly measured battery 25v! Then it was at 23 after the bike turned itself back off, but a bad r/r is a separate issue. Maybe cold ambient temperature doesn't help...(in 30s (3 Celcius))

Comment

You may have cleaned the jets, but how about the small passages between them?

Yeah, you said the carbs were "dipped", hopefully you know that "dip" really means "SOAK", and to do that for about 24 hours.

If one of the "pilot jets is stripped", how do you know the passage behind it is clean? Also, by "pilot jet", do you mean the little screw-in thingie with the hole in it or do you mean the SCREW that is on the top of the outlet of the carb? If you can't get the screw out, that is probably your whole problem, as it's the passage behind it that provides most of the fuel necessary to run the bike at idle.

You evidently have another problem in the "choke" circuit, which uses totally different passages and jets. Just further evidence that the carbs were not properly cleaned.

Oh, yeah, ... THROW THAT STARTER FLUID AWAY!!!

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Let this serve as a reminder to future noobs, always listen to the guys on here who know their stuff! Carbs were dipped in pure pine sol for 48hrs, then blown with lots of compressed air, never seen them so clean. Extracted the shot jet and replaced both for good measure. Oil change, new air filter, in line fuel filter and new intake gaskets, double checked and adjusted float height, sealed airbox, now she runs like a dream starts without hesitation first push of the starter!

Starter fluid is in the garbage!

Comment

Working...
          X