BST36SS carb expert needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BST36SS carb expert needed.

Hey all, I have a thread started over here http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...od-Won-t-start

Now that it looks like the carbs are culprit, I need to figure out how to fix them and get my bike running.

Thanks!

Real simple... Follow these instructions to the letter and you'll be good to go:

http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

send them to Chef1366

If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.
      Last edited by posplayr; 04-12-2015, 02:46 PM.

Comment

That would be even more simple.
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

You both linked me to CV carb resources, these are flatslides.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshisakan View Post
            You both linked me to CV carb resources, these are flatslides.
            I have 4 sets of those BST36SS carbs, what kind are they again? They are not RS Flatslides, but even that doesn't matter; you seem to have a hacked mess and needs someone to straighten it out.

Comment

If those are off a 750 katana they have very small pilot jets plug up very easy. Second the oil motors dont like a weak battery when dead cold. The faster it cranks the better.
              sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
              1994 gsxr1100w
              1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by akckhim View Post
                If those are off a 750 katana they have very small pilot jets plug up very easy. Second the oil motors dont like a weak battery when dead cold. The faster it cranks the better.
                This is what I was thinking too. I'm going to look through the pilot circuit and replace the gas.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  I have 4 sets of those BST36SS carbs, what kind are they again? They are not RS Flatslides, but even that doesn't matter; you seem to have a hacked mess and needs someone to straighten it out.
                  They're from a 1995 katana 750 I guess. They are mikunis, but I thought CVs were limited to the 1980s carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshisakan View Post
                    They're from a 1995 katana 750 I guess. They are mikunis, but I thought CVs were limited to the 1980s carbs.
                    You can call the BST's a CV flatslide but that is close as they get to being a RS flat slide. The BST36/38/40SS was used on most all GSXR 750 and 1100's from 86-92 as well.

Comment

Oil cooled carbs
                      I know these carbs and you really have to go through them.
                      PM me your contact info and I'll walk you through it.
                      Bill
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks Chef, PM sent.

In short they are katana carbs, stock katana emulsion tubes, dynojet bandit 1200 needles and 155mains, mikuni 32.5 pilot jets, .5mm fuel air jet (Not removable) and 1.5mm pilot air jet (stock katana).

I'm wondering if the needle/emulsion tubes mismatch is causing a problem.

Comment

After talking with Chef, he helped me determine that the needles for the bandit are not compatible with emulsion tubes from the katana. Here are the breakdown of BST36SS Emulsion tube sizes from factory pro's website:

I believe these measurements are related to the needle. Which explains why the Bandit needle is smaller than the katana needle. The site also says that all emulsion tubes are 40mm in length, so any of them should be compatible. I'm going to call today to confirm.
                          89-97 Katana - 3.0mm
                          88-92 GSXR750 - 3.0mm
                          96-00 Bandit1200 - 2.5mm
                          89-98 GSXR1100 - 2.5mm

Which ever set I go with, I'm opting for nickel plated emu tubes and titanium needles. Thanks for the recommendation here Chef. I'm hoping the bandit 1200 factorypro emu tubes are compatible with dynojet bandit 1200 needles. If so I'll just get the emu tubes and call it a day.

Comment

After looking at the microfiche, http://www.suzukipart.com/oemparts/a...637/carburetor, I noticed that parts 6 and 9 are different between bst36's with the 3.0mm needle and those with 2.5mm needles. Will this cause a performance problem? I don't want to have to replace the piston valves if it's not necessary as they are expensive as hell. I'm thinking that it might make it draw through a little more air, but I could be completely wrong here.

Comment

Alright, carbs are back together. The bike idles now, almost. When I hit the throttle it will rev but then promptly dies after that rev. Previously it would die as soon as I opened the throttle, I moved the clip from 2 to 4 notches down to see this improvement. I am using 155 mains, drilled out the main air jet to 1.5mm to match the bandit setup. There is definitely something wonky with my starting/pilot circuit. Currently I'm at 1.5 air jets, 32.5 pilot jets, and the pilot jet's are covered with rubber plugs. I don't see any change in engine speed when adjusting the pilot air screws. My next plan is to bump up the pilot jets to 40s. I feel like 4 clips down and 155s should be way too rich.

Cylinder 4 is not firing and I can't figure out why its not getting fuel. It really doesn't make sense. I've checked the circuits passages and jets and it should be getting fuel. It's absolutely getting spark.
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2015, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X