Main jet question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main jet question

Hi, I have a 83 750e I just got finished putting together. I put a Wiseco 816 kit in, 4-1 exhaust, supertrapp r series canister w/6 disks, pod filters, 85" 700 cams. My bike started right up and with a little tuning is running strong. My carbs are the bs32ss, they have been drilled and the main jet has been changed to 140. I think this is too big. With what I've stated, what is a good main jet size I should start from? I got better response with my air screw turned out 3t. Thanks for any bodys help!

The general "rule of thumb" for jetting increases will ask you to go up 3 to 5 sizes for an exhaust system and 4 to 6 sizes for pods. Since you have both, something in the range from 7 to 11 sizes larger than stock. Stock jets are 117.5. 7 sizes larger would be 135, 11 sizes would be 145, so you could be close. I have also heard that a bore increase will require a slightly smaller main jet, but I have no experience with that, so I don't know how much. Just a wild guess here, but I am thinking you might need something in the 130 to 140 range.

And, ... you don't have "air screws", those are your "pilot mixture screws". Three turns out is a good starting point and might be where your bike needs to be, with those modifications, but a little fine-tuning won't hurt anything. If you find that it runs even better when they are turned more than about 4 1/2 turns, consider upping the size of the pilot fuel jet one size, from 37.5 to 40.

What are your spark plugs telling you?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      The general "rule of thumb" for jetting increases will ask you to go up 3 to 5 sizes for an exhaust system and 4 to 6 sizes for pods. Since you have both, something in the range from 7 to 11 sizes larger than stock. Stock jets are 117.5. 7 sizes larger would be 135, 11 sizes would be 145, so you could be close. I have also heard that a bore increase will require a slightly smaller main jet, but I have no experience with that, so I don't know how much. Just a wild guess here, but I am thinking you might need something in the 130 to 140 range.

And, ... you don't have "air screws", those are your "pilot mixture screws". Three turns out is a good starting point and might be where your bike needs to be, with those modifications, but a little fine-tuning won't hurt anything. If you find that it runs even better when they are turned more than about 4 1/2 turns, consider upping the size of the pilot fuel jet one size, from 37.5 to 40.

What are your spark plugs telling you?

My plugs look good, the electrodes are grayish and the ceramic is a light tan. Yesterday I changed main jets to 127.5s but the motor seemed to like the 140s better so I put them back in. While I was in there I checked all my float heights and they are all at factory specs. I did all this with my pilot air screws set at 2 1/2 turns out. the bike ran good but it wouldn't idle very well and would change when I got back from a test ride. The last thing I did last night was change my mixture screws to 3 turns out and the bikes idle is now rock solid at where ever I set it(1100rpm) It was sluggish at under 1/4 throttle but not too bad. Today I changed the mixture screws to 3 1/2 out and the bike runs better but if I am in 2nd gear around 5 grand under 1/4 throttle I feel a little surging but if I shower down on it it really jumps to life.

Comment

go up 1 size in the pilots may solve this.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

20150408_212823.jpg Here is a picture of my bike!that

Comment

I've got my bike running real well now but I believe I can get it even better. No more surging, rock steady idle, crisp throttle response. I have 140 main jets and want to try maybe 135s. my question is when I change main jet, do I have to change other settings on the carbs?

Comment

The answer is you start tuning everything else after you select your main.

Comment

Originally posted by helmutholderbenz View Post
                I've got my bike running real well now but I believe I can get it even better. No more surging, rock steady idle, crisp throttle response. I have 140 main jets and want to try maybe 135s. my question is when I change main jet, do I have to change other settings on the carbs?
                I think what posplayr is saying is "yes". Let me expand on this based on my own experience. Everything setting in a carb overlaps another setting. Main jet size is supposed to be the WOT tuning, but I've noticed that changing it will affect the mix curve as it were. For larger, say, not as much effect on idle, maybe, but as the needle starts to rise, there is more fuel than there used to be the higher it gets. But then you might still need to fiddle with your A/F screws to keep your idle/off idle in the sweet spot. Before you know it, you're starting over.

Comment

Originally posted by GSCafe View Post
                  I think what posplayr is saying is "yes". Let me expand on this based on my own experience. Everything setting in a carb overlaps another setting. Main jet size is supposed to be the WOT tuning, but I've noticed that changing it will affect the mix curve as it were. For larger, say, not as much effect on idle, maybe, but as the needle starts to rise, there is more fuel than there used to be the higher it gets. But then you might still need to fiddle with your A/F screws to keep your idle/off idle in the sweet spot. Before you know it, you're starting over.
                  Thanks GSCafe! I'm not sure if I should even do anything. the bike is really running good. Any bike if you put the coals to it in a tall gear is going to have to wind up a bit right? I mean its not a bog really, kinda sounds like a quadrajet carb if you know what I mean. If I'm in the rpms the bike really gets it. the only real reason I wanted to try the 135s is because the table guidelines say with my mods I should go up in jet size 9 to 12 sizes larger than stock. stock for my bike is 117.5 + 12=130s. I'm using 140s

Comment

John you seam to have done a fine job so far ; just follow what the experts say about jetting, it is not wrong.

Comment

Thanks GSCafe! I'm not sure if I should even do anything. the bike is really running good. Any bike if you put the coals to it in a tall gear is going to have to wind up a bit right? I mean its not a bog really, kinda sounds like a quadrajet carb if you know what I mean. If I'm in the rpms the bike really gets it. the only real reason I wanted to try the 135s is because the table guidelines say with my mods I should go up in jet size 9 to 12 sizes larger than stock. stock for my bike is 117.5 + 12=130s. I'm using 140s
                      I sure don't bill myself as an expert but it seems you have already reached the benchmark for your tuning. I would say that trying different main jets would be fine as it is a fixed adjustment; I mean you can just switch back. However, the temptation to turn a mix screw will be strong if you change the mains. I'd say I've reached the same point as you. I'm weighing having the bike put on the dyno with an o2 sniffer as I can't get any closer. And yes, inline 4, the power band is peaky especially if you go pods and pipe. You want torque down low you need a V-twin.

Comment

Some people will ask a question they already know the answer to to get a conversation started. I want to talk about my bike and what I'm doing to it and how I can make it better. I come to this forum to get help and answers from people I believe have similar interest but most people in this forum get mad at the new guy for asking questions. I thought thats what a live forum was for, to ask questions, give answers and just shar the love we have for these bikes. You guys got me scared to even ask a question. Think about that! Helmut

Comment

Some people will ask a question they already know the answer to to get a conversation started. I want to talk about my bike and what I'm doing to it and how I can make it better. I come to this forum to get help and answers from people I believe have similar interest but most people in this forum get mad at the new guy for asking questions. I thought thats what a live forum was for, to ask questions, give answers and just shar the love we have for these bikes. You guys got me scared to even ask a question. Think about that! Helmut
                          I'm not sure what you are referring to. I do know that people in the know can sometimes forget what it was like to be the new guy and lose patience. I'm not like that. Let me know if I've taken a wrong turn. Ask away without fear. You only need to read the stuff that helps you.

Comment

I appreciate you GSCafe, and everyone who has taken time to answer my questions even though you've heard them asked countless times before. Thanks, Helmut

Comment

I appreciate you GSCafe, and everyone who has taken time to answer my questions even though you've heard them asked countless times before. Thanks, Helmut
                              Thank you. Honestly, I'm pretty good with the electrical questions but I have some carb input because I struggle with mechanical stuff and have learned it the hard way sometimes. Hard earned knowledge sticks with you though.

Comment

Working...
                              X