Cracked choke tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked choke tube

The distal end of my choke tubes seem to be cracked in last few mm, 3/4 of my carbs are this way. I don't think this is critical but I'm not sure. Anybody have experience with this?

My other question is about float height. I disassembled my VM carbs with great care, noting which side of the float is "up." Upon assembly if I orientate the floats the same way they were during disassembly they will be way outside of the 22-24mm range they are supposed to live in. Bending the tab isn't getting me much closer. I imagine I just have this thing upside down, is that right?

Thanks Gang!
    Attached Files

Yes,it is upside down.
    You can slip a piece of tubing over your choke tube,or solder it.

Comment

That crack doesnt matter. The tube is submerged in fuel WAY WAY above that tiny crack when the bowls are full. Change the floats around and get on with finishing the rebuild. And youll notice there are holes at the very very top that bleed off excess fuel getting sucked up the tube...so its nothing to be concerned about.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You do however want to be sure the hole in the bowl the tube fits down is clean and the port at the bottom of the bowl that lets fuel into the hole is open as well. I have had then so clogged with hard crap that I took the torch and heated the outside of the bowl and watched as the black bubbly tar crap came flowing out the hole and into the bowls. I then soaked them in Acetone for a while and poked the holes out with a wire. Then carb spray and air to ensure they were open.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          You do however want to be sure the hole in the bowl the tube fits down is clean and the port at the bottom of the bowl that lets fuel into the hole is open as well. I have had then so clogged with hard crap that I took the torch and heated the outside of the bowl and watched as the black bubbly tar crap came flowing out the hole and into the bowls. I then soaked them in Acetone for a while and poked the holes out with a wire. Then carb spray and air to ensure they were open.
          Thanks for the heads up gang, I'll carry on.

Comment

Working...
          X