Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone point me at an appropriate thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone point me at an appropriate thread?

Ive just rebuilt the carbs on my gs 650... Im stuck on how to set the float height... I get that they should rest on the needle valve thing but not pushing down on it... Everything i have found says ya have to measure from the gasket seat to the top of the float but i cant find anything that says what that measurement should be for my carbs (dont have access to my mamual roght now) and i dont have anything to measire with... I am sure that someone has come up with a makeshift wY of doing this accurately without buying a tool...

any thoughts?

service manuals here

I think

otherwise im no help

Comment

Have you read through the carb rebuild thread on basscliff's site yet?
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny View Post
        I am sure that someone has come up with a makeshift wY of doing this accurately without buying a tool...

any thoughts?
        Better than makeshift. Just use a digital caliper; use it as a depth gauge. Works great, and it'd be tough to beat the accuracy.
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

If you are truly without any kind of ruler, caliper, etc. you could improvise to get it in the ball-park. Try looking at the diameter and thickness of common coins: http://www.sarraf.com/pages/Convert-mm-to-Inches.html. Mark the float height per the manual instructions using a small strip of paper and compare to diameter of coin or stack of coins. Or google "printable ruler" and print one out to use... good luck.

Then buy a calipers or small ruler to check your work later. The above are 'rough and ready, the zombies are coming and I just need the bike to run' methods.
          Last edited by CrazyCloud; 04-14-2015, 11:56 PM.
          Regards,
          Jason

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!

Comment

Working...
            X