Modify stock exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modify stock exhaust

I have an 85 gs550l. I would like to modify the existing stock exhaust to be louder. I've read many posts from ALL OVER that state having to either re jet or readjust the air fuel mixture after baffle removal. I'm looking for any info to modify with the least cash out of pocket right now. Any advice or points into the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

The "right direction" would be to not modify your stock exhaust, especially if your goal is to make it louder.

Not going to go into "preaching" mode, but that's not what we motorcyclists need.

"Least cash out of pocket"? That's easy. Just cut the pipes and don't bother to spend any money on new jets.
    The engine will self-destruct soon enough, preventing any more outlay of money.

To do it a bit more properly, get a proper 4 into 1 exhaust system and jet accordingly.
    Yeah, you might spend more than you just paid for the bike, but it will be done RIGHT.

Oh, ... first post, ... welcome.

Hope your part of "upstate NY" is not the part of the Adirondacks that doesn't tolerate anything louder than a whisper.
    Yeah, I was there for a while, they have strict limits on when you can mow your lawn or use a chain saw.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

By least amount of money I certainly didn't mean zero. The sarcasm is appreciated. Thanks for the welcome too. Yes I've thought about a 4 into 1 but still I would have to jet it and adjust the mixture.

Comment

Since you are going to have to go through the jetting process anyway, why not drop the coin, get a nice 4-into-1 and enjoy a GOOD sound (which does not have to be that much louder)?

Actually, some of the better-made systems claim that you don't need to re-jet, if you use the street baffle.

Simply chopping the pipes or even gutting the mufflers will make your bike sound like CRAP. Besides, depending on the condition of your exhaust system, somebody might pay enough foi it that it might pay for half of your 4-1.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Stock exhausts that aren't rusted to death are becoming valuable on these old machines. I wish mine were still quiet (Rotted chambers inside.)

That said I used a hole saw to open the end of the muffler, and removed all of the tubes and plates that had fell loose and were clanging around. Pretty much the same thing people do to make things loud, but had to do it to save myself from losing my mind from the clanging. It's louder, and it doesn't clang.

I did rejet, and it was absolutely necessary to as far as I'm concerned. All of the noise is much more annoying than I'd thought it would be. Ideally I'd own a healthy, clean stock exhaust and a good fitting aftermarket exhaust that maybe weren't this loud (People begin to turn toward me at around 70 yards away, but I tend to spend almost all of my time above 5000 Rs). At the end of the day a gutted exhaust doesn't sound like a performance exhaust either :/. I feel a little embarrassed at times. You won't regret finding an aftermarket exhaust and rejetting. There's a pretty good chance regret can be found inside the stock exhaust. It'd be a lot nicer if it were a matter of drilling a few rivets out and seeing how it sounded for a while before returning, but it's a one way street on these (well ones like mine at least).

Now I'm sitting around wondering if I can find a way to wrap muffler packing around a perforated tube and packing these things back up like a dirtbike exhaust. I'm not even old or anything, it's just that "straight" piped gets annoying quick on the road. Have fun with whatever you decide to do, but do plan on rejetting. If you can find any way to get into an aftermarket exhaust first I'd recommend it over modification.

Comment

Thanks Red Baron. I don't want obnoxious loud straight pipes. I really want a more sporty sound. Steve that's a great idea. Never thought about someone possibly interested in purchasing an unmolested stock set.

Comment

If it's a good example of how things are, if it were a set for an 8 valve 1100 that were as cosmetically clean as mine and intact inside I'd give you this whole system, a vance and hines pipe (bought the too low version), and an unknown header that came off an 1100GL I have. That's about how bad straight stuff sounds lol. Every bike I have has some sort of performance muffler, but this thing's noise makes me feel like a hillbilly.

Comment

Someone drilled out the end muffler cap on my old 1000S mufflers. The tone of the sound was crappy so I welded them closed. Huge improvement.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Again, the sarcasm is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by RocThaBeard View Post
                    Again, the sarcasm is appreciated.
                    Are you sure?

Comment

Sorry, let me offer something productive. If your stock exhaust is shot, take it to the muffler shop and cut it to modify for slip on. Then get mufflers that have the right amount of growl for you. With the stock headers, you might be able to get away with stock jetting. If you were close to me, and had a 550, I'd let you try it with my old stock mufflers.

Comment

I like aggressive exhaust noise also and hate agreeing with anyone
                        BUT I have never heard a modded stock exhaust that sounded good and you will LOSE power IMO even with proper jetting.

Also look at danmoto exhausts they used to have a lot of inexpensive parts you may be able to adapt.
                        There were also a bunch of chinese silencers on e-bay a while back that looked nice, I heard on other forms they were well built for the money.

Comment

GS CAFE thanks for the info. That's a great idea.

Comment

Joe H, also great info. I'll check that out. Thanks

Comment

Hate to sond like an ass, but i chopped my pipes and love the sound!

Comment

Working...
                              X