New to this carb help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to this carb help

Hi guys, I have a GS1000 from 78 and I need it to pass an inspection in order to register it. I went at the end of last season and they told me my carb is sweating. I did a bit of research and I saw that it might be a leak in the vacuum seal? I read the service manual and it is not muh help. I'm not sure what to do and i don't know of any good places to go in Montreal to get this issue fixed. Does anyone have any advice on what to do or where to go? Anything would help because I am new to this. I was thinking of following the service manual and taking apart and cleaning them but I'm still a newbie when it comes to these things.

just for background I'm a second year mechanical engineering student and I have retired pretty much the whole bike (the previous owners wiring was garbage)

I have a 78 also, and am not sure about any vacuum seal. Hopefully, there will be more knowledgeable people chiming in to help you.

The only places I know of that could leak or sweat on mine are the bowl gaskets, or gas coming out of the overflow from a stuck float. (I have had that happen before and just by tapping on that bowl it fixed it)

They must do quite intensive inspections there. Here, on bikes more than 25 years old, they basically just check and make sure the lights and brakes work.
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

Comment

Clean it properly and rebuild it yourself. Go here.....http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ Lotz of info there.
      -Mark
      Boston, MA
      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
      sigpic
      1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Yes, do it your self

It only takes some basic tools and some carb cleaner - I know you can't get Berrymans up there, but I think you can get the Yamaha cleaner

I've never heard of a carb "sweating" so that's getting lost in translation some how.

Leaking? What fluid was it "sweating"

As an alternative, there's a number of members who clean carbs for a price - Steve, Chef, Chuck Hahn. So, you could ship them the entire rack and it would come back ready to go. Taking it to a local shop may not get you the results you want.
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

You'll want the VM carb rebuild, which is even easier than the CV carbs.

Comment

"...went at the end of last season and they told me my carb is sweating."

maybe they meant the carb(s) were leaking gas. While you're cleaning carbs properly, also check petcock for correct operation.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              Yes, do it your self

It only takes some basic tools and some carb cleaner - I know you can't get Berrymans up there, but I think you can get the Yamaha cleaner

I've never heard of a carb "sweating" so that's getting lost in translation some how.

Leaking? What fluid was it "sweating"

As an alternative, there's a number of members who clean carbs for a price - Steve, Chef, Chuck Hahn. So, you could ship them the entire rack and it would come back ready to go. Taking it to a local shop may not get you the results you want.

Yeah I don't know what they meant by sweating either. But that's literally the words they said and wrote on the report. The worst thing is they do such thorough examinations but when I asked them if they could suggest how to fix the issue and where I could go, they told me that "they are not allowed to help me fix the issues they find".

The system here is pretty stupid, the inspector also didn't speak a word of english, only french (which I do speak, but his report was in scribbles and did not make sense...).

Comment

I second to just follow the VM carb tutorial on Bikecliff Website.

Since your in Canada heres the link for the cheapest ( and yes very reliable ) bowl gaskets I have ever found..and I use them for all my customers carbs so I can speak to their quality.

Here is the oring kit. 1 kit per full rack. Read the website and see that youll need to replacethe intake manifold orings as well..IF you havent already done so recently.

And you SHOULD have the good metal fuel Tee and Transfer Tubes that require orings ( if a previous owner has tampered with them yet) If you have the crappy rubber dipped ones here are the good ones..also from Consolidated.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

UPDATE!!!

So after learning how to clean out my carbs and being completely ready to do it myself, my brother and I looked at the inspection paper again and at my bike and the carbs were definitely not 'sweating' or even leaking. You know what it was?? The valve for my fuel line is leaking whenever I change it from the off position to the on position. Now since my tank is actually a Harley tank and as it happens has no reserve (or fuel gage for that matter, which makes me a little uneasy but if I ever go long distances I have a 1L mini tank I will 100% be bringing with me), I do not really know what to do with regards to this. I'm going to drain my tank and inspect the valve more closely later on this week.

Regardless thanks to all who offered their help!

Comment

You should be able to get a replacement petcock pretty cheap
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                    X