oily gas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oily gas.

Hey, i have a 79 GS1000. my bike will go about 10miles then sputter out and stall, it wont restart for about ten min. or so. I rebuilt the carbs not long ago and was about the take them back off to see if i screwed somthing up when i noticed a leak from #2 the fuel is dark in colour and wont burn. looks to me like i'll be doing rings and seals but i'm supprised because the compression is good on all cyliders and my plugs aren't wet....but the oil has to be coming from somwhere right? not looking forward to re-ringing her, i was pretty sure i'd get to enjoy her this summer. Any sugestions?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2015, 09:46 PM.

A leak from #2 what? Carb, cylinder, plug?

Where is the leak coming from exactly?

Pics are helpful.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

#2 carb from the bowl drain plug. i just let it idle for awhile (20min or so) it is started puffing white from both pipes. it is an oily fuel mix that is leaking out. to be honset the leak turns out to be a good thing, at least i know there's a issue.

Comment

Too much oil in the air filter?

V
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

nah V, its eng. oil that i'm seeing. the more i think on it the less sence it makes....even if my rings or valve seals went bad there is no explanation for the oil. I flushed out the tank btw.

Comment

Your crankcase breather hose maybe spewing oil into the air box (if you still have one) from blow by. Weird it would end up in only one float bowl though.

I lost two piston ring lands, filling the front of my air box full of oil. I was far from home when it happened, but managed to get home recycling oil from the air box every 20 miles.
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

That sucks turk, but no i have pods. i've taken her out since and it hasn't happened again... very odd. i cant ridle out were it came from. still no long trips mind you, i just don't trust her yet.

Comment

Working...
              X