Seriously wtf... Stupid carbs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously wtf... Stupid carbs...

Rebuold the carbs they said.... Its easy they said...

they lied!

first... Who the hell designs a setup where ya have to move the engine forward to get the carbs free of the airbox???

So i studied every tutorial i could find... Studied the clymer... Followed every step to the t... Finally get the carbs back in and it fires right up... Set the idle, shut it off, hook up the sync tool and stop for the night...

go back this morning with a longer fuel line so i can move the tank out of the way and damn if i cant get the friggin thing to start... Seriously? Nothing changed but after six hrs still wont start... FML!!!

i tried several settings for the air adjustment screws, cleaned and gappedthe plugs, ran down two batteries including a lithium ion...

long story short... Lotsa time... More money than i had... Still wont start... Kill me now!

its a gs650... Any ideas guys?

Gas in the bowls?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

How warmed up was the engine when you set the idle??? If it wasnt very warm then the idle NOW is too low and thus its gonna be hard to start.

Set the mixture screws at the back at about 2 1/2 to 3 out from gently seated. Do NOT twist the throttle when trying to start it. Choke and hands off the grip.

Float hts too high will shut fuel to the bowls off too soon also.....causing the bowls to not fill which in turn means they arent full enough to run the engine. May want to recheck them and be sure to do it from the right spot on the floats.

And lastly...what tututorial did you use ? Hopefully the CV one from Bikecliff.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If you are getting full voltage to the coils and you have gas in the bowls (primed again?) then the first thing that would come to mind would be tight valve clearances. If your synch tool is not set properly, you can also create a vacuum leak.

Also, you really shouldn't need to move the engine to get the carbs in and out, but it is a buggery tight fit. Silicone spray lube and new boots are your friends here.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Good point Bill. Where is the petcock set at..if your using the tank. And also, is the vacuum line to the petcock plugged with a screw or something since you said something about taking the tank off. If not out a bolts in it or a golf tee to stop the massive vacuum leak.

EDIT..and if the tank is off and the vacuum from the carbs to the petcock isnt connected youll need to either get a longer vac line from the tank to the carbs or set it in the PRIme spot so fuel will flow. Do the carb sync and be CERTAIN the petcock is put back in the ON spot soon as your shutting the bike down.
          Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-19-2015, 09:34 PM.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Don't forget to use a big fan so the bike doesn't overheat.

V
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

No one lied, you just didn't do it right...yet. Slow your roll and take your time doing the repairs, getting in a hurry doesn't work. Listen to the advice you get here, it'll be running in no time.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Yep theres gas in the bowls...

Comment

Thanks for the advice fellas!

Comment

You said it fired up before. You will want to make sure that it isn't something else simple before assuming that you messed up the carb rebuild. I've given myself extra problems by second guessing myself. I use longer clear gas line so I can see what the gas is doing. (i.e. running low or flowing) Make sure you have spark. Pulling the plugs is much easier than pulling carbs. Check your rectifier/stator connections. I'm not sure what yours look like, but my bullet connectors have become dislodged when I'm working on the bike. Not having a good ground connection can cause you grief. Check your fuses. (Don't know if you have separate one for spark and start) Anyway, I hope you find that your carb build is good and it is a simple fix.

Comment

650's are a bitch. Like BigD83 said it's can be done w/o moving the engine.
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g
                      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                      X