Intake flange spacer gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake flange spacer gasket

I recently got a 79 GS400 and am currently working on rebuilding the carb. Thanks to Robert Barr I was able to get an o-ring kit that is the same as 80-82 GS450s. I have two questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with. How do I orient the intake flange spacers? When I removed them so I could pull the carb I didn't notice the little fins inside of the spacer and now I'm not sure whether they should be oriented on the top or the bottom. Here is a photo of one of the spacers and a photo of the intake itself. Also the gaskets that sit between the spacer and the intake are in rough shape. One of them is actually missing a piece which you can see in the photo above. Does anyone know where I could find those gaskets? So far I've only come across the intake boot assembly and the spacers themselves but no luck on the gaskets. Any help is appreciated.

gasket is available from Suzuki, part No. 13125-44001
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thank you. I would've never thought to look under Air Cleaner parts on Suzuki's website. It's hard to tell from the diagram but if I had to guess those fins look like they should be oriented on the bottom. Every other photo or diagram I've seen doesn't show the fins at all.

Comment

Where are you that you happen to have a '79 400?

Here, in the US of A, the 400 ended with the '78 model year.
        The '79s were 425, then starting in '80, we had the 450.

Based on the rather crude picture in the parts fiche, I would put your 'fins' toward the bottom.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm in Pittsburgh, PA. My father-in-law got it off a co-worker whose grandfather was the original owner. I'm not sure where the bike came from but I was surprised to find out it didn't come from the U.S. I'm sure I'll be posting here plenty more in the future trying to find parts. This is my first motorcycle and it being an odd year/model has been making things difficult to ensure I'm looking at the right parts.

Comment

This came up recently on another thread, where Suzuki had used a mesh device on the intakes to (probably) compensate for fuel drop-out at idle or cold. If that's what these partial baffles are for, I'd have them at the bottom of the inlet.
            ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Do you mind linking to the other thread? I'd be interested in checking it out.

Comment

Found it...
                ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                X