Airbox drain hose missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox drain hose missing

I started to install my carbs after painting them and discovered the airbox drain hose was missing (1983 GS1100E). This would be a vacuum leak if not replaced so is it acceptable to make one using fuel hose and some type of fuel proof foam air filter material? If so, what material would be used? It's only a $13 part but it is now holding up my project.
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

I keep meaning to inspect one of these airbox drain hoses, but I'm easily distracted. I suspect it might be a one way gizmo valve- a plastic ball inside a tube. Under the slight vacuum of airbox, the ball gets sucked up against a stop .to prevent a air leak. When no vacuum, engine off, the ball drops/floats and any accumulating liquid can flow out the hose.
    for now, just plug it up and get your project moving.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      I keep meaning to inspect one of these airbox drain hoses, but I'm easily distracted. I suspect it might be a one way gizmo valve- a plastic ball inside a tube. Under the slight vacuum of airbox, the ball gets sucked up against a stop .to prevent a air leak. When no vacuum, engine off, the ball drops/floats and any accumulating liquid can flow out the hose.
      for now, just plug it up and get your project moving.
      I bought a new OEM tube, it has a removable plug in it. Guess they figure out the old open tube type with a thick piece of foam in it wasn't that good.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen. I think I'll use some fuel hose and plug it if that's all that's really needed.
        sigpic
        1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
        1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
        1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
        On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
        All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Thin walled vinyl tubing run from box down somewhere between swing arm and engine..plastic plug in the end. drain condensaton from time to time.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
          X