1987 450L tuning issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 450L tuning issues?

My first post on here! I have an 87 gs450l that didn't come with carbs and sat in a barn for all it's life, only 844 miles! I got some carbs on eBay, had a local shop tear them down and clean them since I don't know much about dual carb setups. I got it running roughly, it idles but the right cylinder seems like it's always loading up on fuel, the plug is wet when I remove it after idling. I removed the vacuum line from the petcock and blocked it when I found it was supplying fuel to the right carb but I still can't get it to run smoothly. It'll idle on both cylinders but bogs down on the right cylinder when I give it gas until I get to between 1500 and 2000 rpm where it surges forward like nothings wrong. What are those adjustment screws on the top front of the carbs? Something to do with the vacuum going to the baffles in each carb?

Those screws are for the idle circuit mixture. They should be around 2 and 1/2 turns out each. Also, you should have the carbs sync'd / balanced.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Working...
    X