Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Needs ANY info + TANK info

Hello everyone,
    Obviously this is my 1st post and thanks in advance. I just got a 1978 GS 1000 with one major flaw... is does NOT have a tank. I am looking for any tank for now, and possibly a matching tank later on. I did a search and read up on what tanks will swap, but nothing definitive. My main question is the petcock issues. Does anyone have a good pic of a 1978 GS 1000 tank and its petcock? I am heading to the bike salvage yard & want to know what NOT to buy.
    Thanks!

1980- 82 GS750, and 1981 - 82 GS1100E tanks fit nicely, bolt right on, and are fairly easy to find.

Paint it up nice and only a GS expert would know it's not original.

The original GS1000 tanks are really hard to find.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

1978 GS 1000 tanks ( the ones with the indented sides) are prone to developing rust from the inside out and leaking. They are hard to find in good shape. I believe the 79 and 80 tanks will work. Get a new petcock from Z-1. Where are you located?

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks
        I don't know what model I have, just a GS 1000 I think

Comment

If it's a 1978, the tank should have the little indentation all the way down both sides. There were no other models with different tanks
          in '78.
          For '79 that indentation was removed. In 1980 the petcock placement was changed for the new CV carbs. The 1980 1000 tanks are even harder to find than 1978, as almost nobody bought the 1000E once the 1980 1100E was available.

Comment

So, there is a difference between a 1000 & a 1000E ????

Comment

They're the same tank with different colors
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks guys. This has helped.

Comment

The 750 and 1100 tanks need some work on the petcock to work with the 78 carbs. The clearance is really tight. A petcock from a 750ES gave more room but even so it was a struggle. I had to replace the stock tank rubber so I could jack the back of the tank up and grind the carb top to make clearance and even then it was tight.

i have eave some pics of it fitted somewhere...
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

So, unless I find a 78 or 79 1000 tank, I'm making SOME kind of modifications????

Comment

That is correct. You'll have to mess with it to get it to fit with the VM carbs they are not a straight bolt-on as they are on the 1980 1000 that has CV carbs.

Maybe be one of the petcocks with the screw for prime or no lever on them.

There may be an alternative petcock aftermarket or something that will work but I don't know what it is. Either that or you'll need to block the hole and cut a new one somehow...
                      Last edited by salty_monk; 04-26-2015, 11:24 PM.
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Just noticed you live in Montana. At which elevations do you do most of your riding? What's the highest?

The reason I ask is that the VM carbs on your '78 have zero elevation compensation, and if you ride at a variety of elevations as I do, they suck. Big time.

I have gone to only running CV carbs on my GSes, they work just fine from sea level to 14,000 ft. Of course you lose a bit of power up high, but the fuel mixture stays just about perfect. All you have to do is adjust the idle if you care about that. I don't bother, just keep the throttle cracked a tad.

You need a head and carbs from the 1980 GS1000, might as well go with the cylinders and pistons from a GS1100G, they fit right on. I think it's about 9% more displacement, can't remember exactly. Get the GK head and get more power yet, it has a better exhaust port shape.

That gas tank will fit better as Salty Monk says, and the bike will run perfectly at any elevation you will ever ride.

Comment

Tkent is correct as usual but I just want to say that my Skunk - jetted for Sea Level- runs fine anywhere up to about 6,500 feet - above that it is noticeably rich but will still run.
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Have you checked EBay yet for the tank? Others that are smarter than I can tell you if this is the correct one so hopefully they'll speak up about it but I found this while doing a quick search this am:

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Right now, I hadn't planned on switching out my carbs. When I do that, I'm switching to Pods too. I just want to get it running, but their really doesn't seem to be a quick & economical solution. I don't ride up high... yet.
                              Montana is nowhere near as high as CO. Your plains start out above 6500 ft!!!! Then the mountains go UP from there!

Comment

Working...
                              X