VM minimal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM minimal

How far can I tear into the VM style carbs without having to have them sync'd? I guess my bike has been sitting for about 2 years without a tank. Supposedly ran excellent at that time. I want to get it running ASAP just to get a good baseline to work with. I want to go to Pods soon, but it already has a 4-1 header on it... so re-jetting will be done at that time. I plan to do it all then...

If you do a good bench synch it can have you pretty darn close. Why are you going into the carbs?
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Ummm... It's been sitting & planning on a re-jet to accommodate Pods

Comment

I don't know much about carbs. I skimmed through the CV tutorial, but wasn't sure how much different the two are.

Comment

Originally posted by BADJACKSON View Post
          I want to get it running ASAP just to get a good baseline to work with.
          I would be interested to know how you can get a "good baseline" WITHOUT a proper carb cleaning, sync and valve adjustment.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry, your first post made it sound like you were putting pods on a bit later and would do the jetting at that point including a synch. but for now all you wanted to do was get it running ASAP for your baseline. If that is the case just put gas in it and see what happens/how it runs. If you are putting pods on right now get prepared for weeks if not months of hair pulling frustration trying to get it to run well. If you're doing a full tear down you're going to have to synch them.
            Rob
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I don't know much about carbs. I skimmed through the CV tutorial, but wasn't sure how much different the two are.
              You should look at the VM tutorial 'thoroughly', it walks you through the whole process of cleaning them properly.
              Rob

Comment

Like Steve said, do all the required work first to get your baseline otherwise you'll be chasing your tail just to get that far.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I didn't know there was a VM tutorial... I've only seen the CV one. I have read, in more than one place on this site, more than one time, that Pods = a Re-Jet. It will be done at the same time.
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2015, 08:58 AM.

Comment

I didn't know there was a VM tutorial... I've only seen the CV one.
                    Ciick HERE.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm having trouble with that link. Anyone else also having trouble?

Comment

works for me

Comment

Well, either way... I just ordered everything for a set of VM carbs from cycleorings.com and am preparing to do a complete overhaul of my carbs soon. I just don't know if the PO upped the jet sizes already. When the skunk tank that I bought from Salty shows up, I will clean it thoroughly and see if it will run. Then I'll make the move to Pods & a Re-Jet. It's Sat & the weather is nice. There is a car show in town today... wish it was running.
                          Thanks for all the help everyone.

Comment

works for me too if you are having trouble then right click and save target as

Comment

Well, I'm on a tablet... Not the easiest thing to navigate.

Comment

Working...
                              X